Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   gander mountain got A LOT of ammo but.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/gander-mountain-got-lot-ammo-but-99215/)

hawkguy 10-20-2013 04:27 PM

gander mountain got A LOT of ammo but....

just visited our newest gander and i was blown away by all ammo they had on the shelves!

only problem.....THE PRICES! everything was marked up at least 20% or more higher than every other retailer (cabelas, academy, etc). :confused:

it was nice to so many boxes of bulk ammo stacked up, however.......$40 for 100 round cheapo 9mm is NOT what i call a good price. $60 for bulk 100 rounds AE 223 is almost stupid overpriced imo. :confused:

i saw more people walk away with no ammo than purchasing. i only bought 1 box of SD ammo, cause it was ONLY about $2 overpriced.

anybody else see the same at gander?

nitestalker 10-20-2013 05:14 PM

Could it be we are beng conditioned to higher prices? For years we thought one dollar a gallon gasoline was a ceiling. They created a shortage and now many think four dollars a gallon is OK.
Is the $12.00 bulk box of .22 rim fire now $50 dollars, the new normal?:eek:

Argyle_Armoring 10-20-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1407605)
Could it be we are beng conditioned to higher prices? For years we thought one dollar a gallon gasoline was a ceiling. They created a shortage and now many think four dollars a gallon is OK.
Is the $12.00 bulk box of .22 rim fire now $50 dollars, the new normal?:eek:

If people stop panicking and stop buying then they'll be forced to lower the prices.

Donn 10-20-2013 05:45 PM

No surprise. Gander Mountain's never been known for deals, at least around here.

sputnik1988 10-20-2013 06:25 PM

I've been to Gander Moutain once, everything was overpriced.

Back when I bought my Taurus 1911 the prices varied by store

Buds was about $500

LGS was about $600

Bass pro was about $700

Gander mountain? They had a $900 price tag on one... After seeing that and about 3 dozen other unholy markups, I swore I'd never go back.

TruggieTex 10-20-2013 06:32 PM

I pass the one in Corsicana on the way to my hunt camp...
Have visited at least a dozen times with spur of the moment intentions of showing up at camp with a new toy. Think the most expensive item I have bought is a container of pretzel pieces....they a re poor retailers from my experience.

Argyle_Armoring 10-20-2013 06:47 PM

As long as people continue to shop there, they will have outrageous prices.

hawkguy 10-20-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1407660)
I've been to Gander Moutain once, everything was overpriced.

Back when I bought my Taurus 1911 the prices varied by store

Buds was about $500

LGS was about $600

Bass pro was about $700

Gander mountain? They had a $900 price tag on one... After seeing that and about 3 dozen other unholy markups, I swore I'd never go back.

y'know on thinking about it...y'all are 100% right!

everything there was overpriced! i have been looking at henry big boys lately, the average price running between 750-800. gander's were 899!!! :eek:

lesson learned.....:rolleyes:

JW357 10-21-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy
$40 for 100

So that is $20 / 50. That's the best price for 9mm I've seen locally around here since pre-Sandy Hook. The only exception to that is the range-only ammo at my LGS, which I think is currently $18 / 50.

I wish the prices would just normalize back to the pre-scare days. Although, Argyle, I agree with you. If we keep buying at these prices a lot of sellers will continue to sell at these prices.

DrFootball 10-21-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy
just visited our newest gander and i was blown away by all ammo they had on the shelves!

only problem.....THE PRICES! everything was marked up at least 20% or more higher than every other retailer (cabelas, academy, etc). :confused:

it was nice to so many boxes of bulk ammo stacked up, however.......$40 for 100 round cheapo 9mm is NOT what i call a good price. $60 for bulk 100 rounds AE 223 is almost stupid overpriced imo. :confused:

i saw more people walk away with no ammo than purchasing. i only bought 1 box of SD ammo, cause it was ONLY about $2 overpriced.

anybody else see the same at gander?

Don't have one near me, but the big boxes here all fight for the customer $ so everybody tries to undercut each other.... Just because Dicks opened in Prescott, I saw Big 5's prices drop by 10-12% this week,...plus they ran a 20% off sale on top of that.....their delivery is tomorrow so I'll be in there tomorrow or Tuesday.....