FYI reamers for 260 Remington

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > FYI reamers for 260 Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Default FYI reamers for 260 Remington

I read somewhere on this forum about laupa brass being to tight to chamber, but when using Remington brass, was fine. Curiosity: I called Shieln asking about the reamer they used for their SS select match barrels in 260. They referred me to Pacific Tool whom provide their reamers. I spoke with Kathleen. She told me they had provided two reamers to Shieln, but did not know which one they used. She then e-mailed me the specs on both reamers. One reamer was the regular 260 Remington and the other was the 260 Remington tactical. I then called back to Shieln and they looked at their spec sheet on their current reamer. They are using the 260 Remington tactical.The body, tpi, pilot cal, groove basic brass dimensions are all the same. The neck tpi,throat tpi, bore,resizing ND, and margin have different dimensions. Note: the above are facts. I did not ask about more details as to what any of this meant, as far as reloading goes, as I felt I had shown enough ignorance for one day. If anyone can follow up on this with an explanation I would appreciate it. Facts or opinions. ( if not, I can do some more digging) P.S. I do not know how many different types of reamers there are or which barrel makers use which reamers. (more ignorance) By the way, both ladies at both companies were very polite and provide excellant customer service. IMO

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 730 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 325

The only reason I can think of where a particular headstamp will not chamber is in the neck thickness.

If your chamber reamer has a Minimal spec neck and your lapua brass has a Max spec neck thickness, then there could be a problem.

I can think of two ways to fix the problem. Turn the neck of the offending brass or have your smith cut a proper chamber.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
The only reason I can think of where a particular headstamp will not chamber is in the neck thickness.

If your chamber reamer has a Minimal spec neck and your lapua brass has a Max spec neck thickness, then there could be a problem.

I can think of two ways to fix the problem. Turn the neck of the offending brass or have your smith cut a proper chamber.
So if you cut the chamber to allow for the offending brass would not the other brass (that chambers correctly pryor to cutting the chamber)tolerances be less than the new chamber specs which could affect the accuracy?

Old 03-05-2014, 03:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 730 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
So if you cut the chamber to allow for the offending brass would not the other brass (that chambers correctly pryor to cutting the chamber)tolerances be less than the new chamber specs which could affect the accuracy?
Do you have the drawings of the two reamers? Can you post them or links to them?

Old 03-05-2014, 03:27 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

25 views only 1 reply. Where have all the gunsmiths gone?

Old 03-05-2014, 03:47 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Do you have the drawings of the two reamers? Can you post them or links to them?
I have the drawings. I do know how to forward from my email, but as far as posting, linking pasting etc. etc. I lack the fundemental skills to do so. My #2 son will be home from college this week-end, perhaps he can give his pops a lesson. In the mean time I will give the spec. differences. reg rem neck tpi .00361 rem tactical neck tpi .0 reg rem throat tpi 1.04816 rem tactical throat tpi .5237 reg rem bore .264 rem tactical bore .256 reg rem resize hd .293 rem tactical resize .003 reg rem margin .003 rem tactical margin .002 All the other specs are the same. Bon Apetite