Funny reloading experiences - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Funny reloading experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Actually, if you can't see any humor in little mistakes, and are hysterically paranoid about absolute perfection, a thread like this, which is intended to be for fun, is not where you should be spending your time.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3050 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Pencil erasers and bullet pullers exist because we are all human. Humans screw up. When humans screw up, there is often a bit of humor to be had. It doesn't mean we aren't taking things seriously.
My reloading mistakes aren't really that funny.
I've ruined a pound of Unique by contaminating it with Bullseye.
I've pulled bullets on a box .357 Mag ammo because I misread the scale.
I have a half moon scar on my finger from a .380 case.
Stupid? Yes.
Funny? Not at the time. Not exactly a knee-slapper now, but you shake your head and move on, hopefully having learned a lesson.
After a career as a USAF Aircraft Weapons Troop, I am pretty careful around things that go boom. I developed a great respect for following procedures when working with explosive items. Still sometimes excrement occurs. If nothing was damaged and no one was hurt, it's OK to look back & laugh.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1800 Times on 787 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

Been loading for 20 years and had something happen a while back that had never happened. Was loading 45 acp on a single stage press. Some how the primer went in the case on its side. Could not remove the case from the shell holder but could remove the shell holder from the press to see what had happened. After realizing what was going on it was how are you going to get the primer back out. Couldn't punch it out. I know I will use the little skinny needle nose and pull it back out. All I can say is primers are touchy little b-------ds. Didn't no more than get a hold when it went off sending the shell holder one direction and the case in another. Next time I will use the punch and get it over with. At least that way I can put the shell holder in the vise.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

like the time i loaded my first batch of pistol ammo. took my time, and prepped the cases, very carefully measured my powder charges, then very carefully seated the bullets. put them into an ammo box. a couple of days later i had the opportunity to shoot them. one small problem though. ammo works better when you install primers!

Old 06-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
like the time i loaded my first batch of pistol ammo. took my time, and prepped the cases, very carefully measured my powder charges, then very carefully seated the bullets. put them into an ammo box. a couple of days later i had the opportunity to shoot them. one small problem though. ammo works better when you install primers!
Funny how it works that way.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #26

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

I didn't think this was funny. But you guys can laugh at me if you want. I have a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive. You have to constantly watch that thing while you are running it. It comes with a crappy chain like we had on our dog tags. The chain operates the powder measure. Well the chain is always breaking. People recommend using a rubber band instead. So I switched mine. Well the rubber band dried out and broke. But the primers were giving me trouble so I was watching that really close and didn't notice that the powder measure wasn't working. I got the primers working and as I got about 3/4 of the way through a 100 round run I noticed there wasn't any powder in one of the cases. But I knew it was working earlier because I watch everything pretty close. So I had to disassemble about 20 rounds until I found one with powder in it. I guess it is easy to overlook one thing when something else requires your attention. I have since replaced the rubber band with a short length of paracord and the original spring that is supposed to go with the chain. Works great.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Funny how it works that way.
it was one of those, WTH moments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I didn't think this was funny. But you guys can laugh at me if you want. I have a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive. You have to constantly watch that thing while you are running it. It comes with a crappy chain like we had on our dog tags. The chain operates the powder measure. Well the chain is always breaking. People recommend using a rubber band instead. So I switched mine. Well the rubber band dried out and broke. But the primers were giving me trouble so I was watching that really close and didn't notice that the powder measure wasn't working. I got the primers working and as I got about 3/4 of the way through a 100 round run I noticed there wasn't any powder in one of the cases. But I knew it was working earlier because I watch everything pretty close. So I had to disassemble about 20 rounds until I found one with powder in it. I guess it is easy to overlook one thing when something else requires your attention. I have since replaced the rubber band with a short length of paracord and the original spring that is supposed to go with the chain. Works great.
this is exactly why i recommend new reloaders starting with a single stage for learning how to reload. with a progressive, there are too many things going on at once, and are much better suited to those who have been reloading for a while and have at least learned the basics of reloading.

very good story and some good things to think about Rick.