Funny reloading experiences - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Funny reloading experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1934 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Nah, she won't blow you up. She could throw a full canister of powder in the furnace and it wouldn't blow up. It would burn really fast and generate a lot of stinking gas, but it wouldn't blow up the furnace. To detonate, smokeless powder has to be confined in a really strong container (like a strong steel pipe with steel plugs at both ends, or a pressure cooker) to build up enough pressure to explode.
Thanks....one less thing to worry about.....

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #12

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I guess this counts as reloading my cousin just bought a remake of a 50 cal hawkin I don't remember who made it and we were out shooting it. So I leave because I need a cigerette and being smart I didn't want to smoke near the black powder I guess I'm funny like that. Well I come back and he fired a round off and he was getting ready to reload well he couldn't find the fiberglass ram rode that we had been using. After a few minutes of looking something kinda popped into my head so I went down range and got looking around all I found was a few chunks of the ram rode and one of the metal ends.

So my cousin shot his ram rode out of his 50 cal hawkins, everyone was ok and the gun wasn't damaged but I made a new ram rode for him for range use that's longer so he won't forget it again.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
I guess this counts as reloading my cousin just bought a remake of a 50 cal hawkin I don't remember who made it and we were out shooting it. So I leave because I need a cigerette and being smart I didn't want to smoke near the black powder I guess I'm funny like that. Well I come back and he fired a round off and he was getting ready to reload well he couldn't find the fiberglass ram rode that we had been using. After a few minutes of looking something kinda popped into my head so I went down range and got looking around all I found was a few chunks of the ram rode and one of the metal ends.

So my cousin shot his ram rode out of his 50 cal hawkins, everyone was ok and the gun wasn't damaged but I made a new ram rode for him for range use that's longer so he won't forget it again.
So, instead of the old "He shot his wad", this guy "shot his rod".

Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
There is nothing FUNNY about an error while reloading. An error while reloading can blow your face off or worse kill you.

Not sure anyone can find that funny.
Sure there is. An error that is caught before it can cause any damage can be funny

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #15

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Kinda like my only negligent discharge (pulling a trigger when I thought the shotgun was empty) is only a fun story to tell because I was at a range, on the line, and the muzzle was pointed in the correct direction.

Scared the CRAP out of me, though, I must admit.

Some mistakes are okay to laugh about!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #16

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Not in my eyes. I take my loading serious. If you make a mistake and are lucky enough to catch it. You need to stop what you are doing and figure out what went wrong for that to happen. Then you need to take steps to make sure it doesn't ever happen again.

Reloading is dangerous business I have been reloading for over 30 years and nothing has ever happened. I just don't find mistakes when dealing with reloading funny ever. Do people not realize that you are making an explosive device That in rifles you are putting your face within 4" of it? We are talking about tens of thousands of pounds of pressure Near your face or in your hand.

This thread just scares me. To see so many that take reloading so carelessly is mind boggling.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07
Not in my eyes. I take my loading serious. If you make a mistake and are lucky enough to catch it. You need to stop what you are doing and figure out what went wrong for that to happen. Then you need to take steps to make sure it doesn't ever happen again.

Reloading is dangerous business I have been reloading for over 30 years and nothing has ever happened. I just don't find mistakes when dealing with reloading funny ever. Do people not realize that you are making an explosive device That in rifles you are putting your face within 4" of it? We are talking about tens of thousands of pounds of pressure Near your face or in your hand.

This thread just scares me. To see so many that take reloading so carelessly is mind boggling.
I wouldn't say we take it carelessly. Ok maybe shooting the .380 case loaded to light 9mm load specs was careless on my part.

But to say that just because we can laugh about something we did wrong (and caught it before it was an issue or caused damaged or harm) makes us careless, well I suppose that's your opinion. I am fully confident in my reloads, despite having only been reloading for 2 years. And it also happens to be a hobby of mine, which I get enjoyment out of.

It's a lot harder to enjoy hobbies when you're 100% serious 100% of the time (especially AFTER the fact, whichs what this thread is).

Shooting can be a perfectly dangerous hobby too. That's why we follow safety rules while engaging in shooting. The same goes for reloading. It doesn't mean we have to be a robot.

Always have clean socks.

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I am in the middle of one that is happening to me these past 2 weeks. Once I get it worked out I'll post it here and have a good laugh.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post

In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka; "lighten up Francis".

Yes reloading (and shooting, and fueling up your car) is a serious operation. If we cannot laugh at mistakes (that do not kill or maim) what is the point of living? NO ONE is saying that blowing your hand off or blinding yourself is funny. This is about those little oopses that are caught before they cause any damage.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Oh, and I have been loading for over 35 years. I still see out of both eyes and have 10 fingers. Have I made mistakes? Sure. I learned from them and moved forward

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

texaswoodworker Likes This