Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Funny reloading experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 902 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

Default Funny reloading experiences

Have any of youse guys ever had a funny thing happen while reloading, or as a result of an error in reloading?
I had a "first" happen to me last night when I was cooking up some .45 ACP ammo. I use a Lee turret press, but I have deactivated the auto-indexing feature, so I can size, decap and prime a box of 50, then flare and charge the same 50, then seat and crimp the 50. It usually goes faster for me that way.
Well, I got to where I was flaring and charging, but I was having trouble weighing the charges (I use a dipper and a scale, rather than an automagic feed). I'd weigh a charge, then put the dipper down to pick up the pan and dump the powder into the funnel, but before I got hold of the pan, I'd notice that the scale was showing the charge to be a little heavy sometimes, and a little light other times, so I'd have to reweigh it. Finally my eyes caught some movement, so I took a good look. There was a little bitty bug crawling on the scale beam, from one end to the other. When he was close to the end supporting the powder pan, the charged looked heavy, and when he was close to the end with the pointer, the charge looked light. So I had to get the critter off the scale (I killed his sorry a$$), dump all the powder out of the cartridges and start over.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 06-24-2013 at 01:53 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #2

Liked 270 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Some years ago my son who was about 12 or so(now almost 17) was watching me reloading some .222 cases and somehow a primer got jammed sideways in the primer pocket.
Much gnashing of teeth and a few choice words didn't help that I had a few beers under the belt(yep I know beer and bang sticks etc don't mix).

I looked at the stuff up and thought :"Bugger it I'll use a pocket knife and lever the primer out of the pocket".

No.1 son is standing about 5' away from me and I jam the tip of the pocket knife into the primer pocket and start levering away when there was a big "BANG!" and the tip of pocket knife disappeared God knows where. The son was standing there bug eyed and I don't think I was much better.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

People Like This 
Old 06-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #3

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

There is nothing FUNNY about an error while reloading. An error while reloading can blow your face off or worse kill you.

Not sure anyone can find that funny.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7572 Times on 3299 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

And you wonder just HOW did that bit of .243 brass get mixed in with the 30-06.... as the handle of the press DROPS all the way, whacking your knuckles against the bench....

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Here's a funny one. I was reloading 9mm on my dillon. I think I was at 60 or so and I was in a little groove. Anyways on station 3 I noticed the case looked different than the others. It had already been sized, flared and powdered. So what do I do? You guessed it. I put a bullet on top of it and drove on. After it ejected down into my bin I picked it up and noticed a LOT of bullet sticking out. I turned it over and sure as hell. It was a 380 case.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinoif3 View Post
Here's a funny one. I was reloading 9mm on my dillon. I think I was at 60 or so and I was in a little groove. Anyways on station 3 I noticed the case looked different than the others. It had already been sized, flared and powdered. So what do I do? You guessed it. I put a bullet on top of it and drove on. After it ejected down into my bin I picked it up and noticed a LOT of bullet sticking out. I turned it over and sure as hell. It was a 380 case.
That woulda been interesting to fire, if it could be chambered.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3610 Times on 2247 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU

That woulda been interesting to fire, if it could be chambered.
I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Decided to risk it and try to shoot it. Yes it chambered and fired fine. No I didn't police that piece of brass (I don't own a .380 so I didn't need it anyway).

When I started handloading a few weeks ago, I had several primers blow up because I was hammering too hard. Not really funny I guess, just a little nerve wracking.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's not so scary and dangerous as some people would like to believe. I've been pretty lucky, I guess. I've been reloading for 24 years, never had a squib load, never blew up a gun. But sometimes things happen that make you go "hmmmmmmm". It's good to be able to laugh about them and keep on strokin'.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #9

Liked 427 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 695

i dont know a thing about reloading, but in the winter when RG is loading shotgun shells down in the basement with the furnace, i wonder if she's gonna blow us up. You can smell the powder if you go down there.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
i dont know a thing about reloading, but in the winter when RG is loading shotgun shells down in the basement with the furnace, i wonder if she's gonna blow us up. You can smell the powder if you go down there.
Nah, she won't blow you up. She could throw a full canister of powder in the furnace and it wouldn't blow up. It would burn really fast and generate a lot of stinking gas, but it wouldn't blow up the furnace. To detonate, smokeless powder has to be confined in a really strong container (like a strong steel pipe with steel plugs at both ends, or a pressure cooker) to build up enough pressure to explode.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 06-24-2013 at 08:11 PM.