Full size reloader
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Full size reloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Full size reloader

Alright fellas, and ladies. I went shooting today and I had some jams. They weren't due to the gun, it was because I was shooting reloaded ammo. My buddy's dad said it was because the reloaded ammo was reloaded using a half sizer and that I need a full size re-loader. Would this solve the problem? I didn't have a single issue with the ammo I used that wasn't reload ammo. What do you have for suggestions for a full size reloader? I may ask for it for christmas

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

NRA member since November 16, 2009

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ya gotta tell us what type of gun you were shooting, and in what caliber.

If you were shooting a "bottleneck" type rifle cartridge that had only been "neck sized", and if you were shooting it in a auto loading rifle, your experience may be attributed to the neck-sized only re-loads.

More info please.

TXnorton

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Yes, more details needed. Weapon, caliber, exact malfunction, origin of the brass (what was it shot through the last time)

Full length sizing dies are available from most makers. Small base dies will resize even further.

Cartridge max headspace gauges are available from several sources including MidwayUSA, Dillon and Wilson. They enable you to check the loaded ammo for external dimensions. If it fits in the gauge it will fit in the gun.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

First like the others said what caliber and firearm was used. We also need to know the load and the equipment it was loaded on.

I have been reloading for a long time and never heard of a half sizer or a full resizer.

There are neck sizer dies that only resize the neck of the cartridge this will work as long as you are shooting the ammo in only ONE gun. Then you have a full length sizer die which as the name implies resizes the entire case neck and body of the cartridge.

There is only one type for pistol ammo.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #5

I was shooting my m&p .45. Sorry, I don't know all the terminology but it is a neck resizer I believe. He said it only resized the brass enough to get the bullet in. The issue I had was that the round in my clip wouldn't feed into the chamber. I tried it with 3 or 4 different resized rounds. The bullet wouldn't seat in the chamber and cause the slide to lock up. It was really difficult to get the resized round out, I really had to force the clide back for it to eject. Which I really didn't like doing because it felt hard on the weapon, but I had no other way to get it out. I made sure to clean her nicely afterward to apologize.

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Last edited by Kage0113; 11-23-2009 at 06:17 PM.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

DO NOT get any more ammo from this person. I would also suggest not standing too close by him if he is shooting his own reloads.

If you are interested in reloading, go purchase a copy of Lyman's reloading handbook. It is full of good information even if you don't start to re-load right now.

TXnorton

Old 11-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5506 Times on 2874 Posts
Likes Given: 357

personally i would never shoot ammo that someone else gave me. ever. well if zombies were on the way i might.. but that is something else.

pistol ammo should be fully sized each use. skipping the re-size step and just using an expander die is a sure way to lead to disaster in pistol shooting.

i have never been a fan of skipping steps in reloading. getting a reloading manual that explains the process is a good way to learn more about your ammo and your guns even if your not reloading yourself.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #8

Thanks fellas. What reloader do you suggest I buy? What is all the equipment I will need?

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

Old 11-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage0113 View Post
Thanks fellas. What reloader do you suggest I buy? What is all the equipment I will need?
Thre is a whole thread (maybe several) in ths section of the forum dedicated to this question. Go read it.

Go buy the Lyman's reloading manual and read it as well.

TXnorton

Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I have never heard of a neck sizer for .45ACP. Sounds like poorly assembled ammo. Either not properly resized or not properly crimped. Either way if that person did not care or know enough to load correctly, what else is wrong with the ammo?

Check out the Lee Anniversary kit for a nice start at handloading.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball