Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Full Length small base 5.56 carbide resizing die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Full Length small base 5.56 carbide resizing die

I've got RCBS 5.56 dies with carbide expander. I've never been entirely satified especially with having to lube and when crimping it reqries miking, adjusting and doing it all over again as the bullets invriably seat too long after crimping.
Withe the Dillon 650 I look forward to easier loading but it doesn't look like cheaper, and that is why I got into reloading 40 years+ ago.
The Dillon full size carbide die is at 139.00. I thought RCBS and others offered a full length small base resizing die but haven't found a single listing on the Internet.
Is anyone making one and who is selling them?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2014, 02:39 AM   #2

Liked 307 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 253

Even with carbide dies, bottle neck cases will still need to be lubed because of the tapers/angles.

Quote:
Dillon Three-Die Rifle Die Sets include a sizing/ depriming die, a bullet seating die and a taper crimp die. />Sizing/Depriming Die

The sizing/depriming die is full-length, to minimum tolerances, sizing cases down to function in semi- and full-automatic firearms. We strongly suggest that a headspace case gage be used to correctly adjust the size die.
For high volume users, such as commercial reloaders, law enforcement agencies, and high power or service rifle competitors, we also offer .223 and .308 die sets with a full-length carbide sizing die. Lubrication is still required, but the increased scratch resistance and die longevity of carbide are of great benefit to these groups of users.
The depriming assembly includes a carbide expander ball for "squeak-free," effortless neck expansion. This expander ball is located in the middle of the depriming stem to take advantage of superior initial leverage for easier extraction.
In the event of a stuck case, the design of the depriming assembly allows it to function as a stuck case remover.

Last edited by Highpower; 08-05-2014 at 03:11 AM. Reason: KISS method

Old 08-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #3

Liked 677 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 313

Unless you are loading hundreds of thousands of round the Carbide die will do you no good.

The case still needs to be lubed. The only difference is that the Carbide sizing die can hold up to several thousand rounds a day during commercial production.

and when crimping it reqries miking, adjusting and doing it all over again as the bullets invriably seat too long after crimping.

This is another subject and has nothing to do with Carbide sizing dies.

Please explain you seating and crimping technique/problems in detail and we will surely be able to help you out.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:14 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

graf and sons has rcbs small base x die's in stock #38859 sizing die only
i use the competion seating die ,it's the only way for seating .223 bullet's#37238

Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I use a RCBS small base 223 FL sizer die. Works great.

I would save the exrta $ and not buy a carbide die, as lubrication will still he necessary with bottleneck cases.

Bayou

Last edited by Bayou; 08-05-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
I've got RCBS 5.56 dies with carbide expander. I've never been entirely satified especially with having to lube and when crimping it reqries miking, adjusting and doing it all over again as the bullets invriably seat too long after crimping.
Withe the Dillon 650 I look forward to easier loading but it doesn't look like cheaper, and that is why I got into reloading 40 years+ ago.
The Dillon full size carbide die is at 139.00. I thought RCBS and others offered a full length small base resizing die but haven't found a single listing on the Internet.
Is anyone making one and who is selling them?
Thanks
Not carbide but,,,,,,
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/621875/rcbs-ar-series-small-base-2-die-set-with-taper-crimp-223-remington?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Old 08-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

I have RCBS small basee die set. I've loaded many rounds on the RCBS Rockchucker press. I've load some on the Lyman Progressive or lack of progress press, which will remain in a tote box. i don't load thousands of rounds but reduction on lbe or elimantion would be good. I hate trying to get all the lube off. It eems impossible short of spraying with brake cleaner, something which I don't plan on doing to loaded ammo. I've seen speedy exits from weapons with traces, of die lube on the shell casings.The .223 is not that much trouble to load but it takes time to put together say five hundred rounds. that would last me a long time, unless Relatives come over and want to some taarget shooting. The casings are all trimmed to thesme length by a laborious lyman trimming tool. You have to chuck in one turn the rank a few times empty it and do another. when you use Military surplus and other once fired, you don't take a chance. Getting the neck crimped into the cannaluer is maddening sometimes. Load one and seat and crimp and out comes a round that has creeped forward enough that some magazines won't take them past five or ten rounds.
So it is adjust do anither round and observe and mike and still end up with long rounds. Adjusting the seating/crimping die to just right is never just right. Perhaps I need to inside turn or outside turn as I do some magnum rounds to get a uniform thickness. Seems unlikely, as many manufacturers brass is nto all that uniform to begin with.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #8

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
So it is adjust do anither round and observe and mike and still end up with long rounds. Adjusting the seating/crimping die to just right is never just right. Perhaps I need to inside turn or outside turn as I do some magnum rounds to get a uniform thickness. Seems unlikely, as many manufacturers brass is nto all that uniform to begin with.
Sounds as though your brasses may not be getting a fairly uniform trim and may be of differing lengths. Perhaps that's why you're having difficulty seating. It sounds as though you may be seating to the cannelure. If that's the case, and the brasses are of differing lengths, then the case over-all length is going to change each time since some brasses are longer and some are shorter.

If the brasses had a more uniform trim, then once the seating depth is set and locked in on the seating die, the case over-all length should be fairly consistent from one to th next.

Bayou

Old 08-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5499 Times on 3114 Posts
Likes Given: 4773

Lubing bottleneck brass is a simple process the way I do it. But it is a two step process. I have a separate tool head with only the sizing die installed.

The cases are sprayed with Dillon spray lube, LIGHTLY, rolled around in a pan, and allowed to dry overnight. (I load .223 in large batches.)

After sizing, they are tumbled in corncobs to remove the lube I then use the sizing slot in the regular 650 tool head with a universal decapping die to knock out any little pieces of corncob, and load normally.

The same process works on 7.62 and .30-06 as well.

The LEE Factory Crimp Die has solved all of my crimping issues.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Ouch - Nobody talking about trimming ?

I also process .223/.308/30-06 on a Dillon 650. If you measure your cases after sizing, then no problem. Cases less that the max trim length are used, the others need to be trimmed. And if your using a Small base die, the brass stretches even MORE !. Over the years I've observed that after sizing with a standard sizing die, once shot brass, only 40% on the average require trimming. Using a small base die, that average reverses 60% require trimming. Because I do alot of brass, I just run all brass thru the Trimmer. The Trimmer is always set at the max trim length, and if the brass needs trimming, it gets gets trimmed, if not it still goes in the trimmer station but doesn't get trimmed.

My 650 is setup where all brass gets lubed.

First pass, station 1 - sizing/decaping die, station 2 - GS swager (for those pesky crimped cartridges), station 3 - Dillon trimmer/size die, station 5 - lee universal flaring die (It makes it easier to insert flat based projectiles in the brass).

They then get cleaned in corn cob.

Second pass, station 1 - Universal decaping died, station 2 - prime and powder charge, station 3 - Powder check, station 4 - set projectile, station 5 - crimp (removes the flare).

All sizing dies are standard, except for .308. Since the .308 brass can be used in a bolt gun + 1919a4 + semi-auto's, I use a Small base die. Its easier to inventory the brass and make it work in all 3 platforms.

Hope this info helps.