Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > FTF Ammo problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FTF Ammo problem?

I got some mil surp ammo from a guy and test fired some today, out of two rounds chambered only one went off and it was after being struck twice, the second round did not fire after multiple strikes. I had one misfire earlier in the year with lake city, struck it 4 times. I have had the gun for several years have never had any ftf issues with it. I did purchase it used. It has had close to 15 rnds thru it since the lacke city ftf without any problems. I cant get the individual round to show up in a photo but the box has all the markings the rounds do, the rounds have 3 marks around the primer from being crimped. The firing pin appears to be leaving good strike marks.

100_2093.jpg  

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I can't quite remember, but I think that's South African ammunition. If it is, it's outstanding quality.

How clean is your chamber, boltface and extractor?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Any clue as to country of origin?

Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here is a problem I ran into with my 30-06 and Winchester ammo. The firing pin was hitting the primer but just not quite hard enough to ignite. What was happening was the round was actually sliding forward in the chamber when the pin hit it. Winchester's length was just short enough that the round could move. I no longer shoot any Winchester ammo thru that rifle and don't have a single problem.
Try measuring the ammo your having problems with and compare it to something that works well in that rifle.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #5

gun is good, chamber clean, entire bolt is fine, not sure of the country, the primer was struck good and hard, and it has fired everything i put thru it after the first post, and i picked on what i considered to be junk ammo (the stuff that dont group the best)

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 01-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I figured it out. That's Portuguese ammunition, not South African! I'm old and slow, but I've still got it.

If you are sure of your rifle, then it's the ammunition. I can assure you that Portuguese, Australian, South African, British Radway Green, German Hirtenberger and Lake City are clean, reliable and accurate. My guess is that the ammunition was stored poorly or got damp or something. That's the only problem with surplus ammo. I've been lucky and picked it up in the past from reliable sources and have never had a glitch yet. (He said touching wood.)

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I would concur. Most South African surplus available here is in "battle packs", sealed better than domestic stuff on the shelves.

Alot of Pakistani surplus varies a great deal in quality, again, likely the way it was stored.

Eastern Bloc stuff will last forever, after the Apocalypse, roaches will be warring for food with C&Rs and spam cans of Czech ammo.

I'm unaware of the primers being too hard, so I'm gonna guess damp powder.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #8

Liked 696 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 716

That is real odd for Portuguese ammo. FNM is normally 100% reliable. I would give it a go in another rifle.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I recommend you try about 200 rounds in an HK and a CETME. Send them to me and I will be glad to run the tests for you.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #10

Liked 696 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I recommend you try about 200 rounds in an HK and a CETME. Send them to me and I will be glad to run the tests for you.
You so Funny!
You forgot a bolt gun!