Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Frangible ammunition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Frangible ammunition?

Is it the real deal?

What would be a better home/self defense bullet? a 9mm 147 or 124gr hollow point or any of the frangible 9mm's out there?

I just bought a 9mm primarily for home defense (no 9mm bashing, she's already bought and paid for, i need to make the best with what I have, no need for suggestions on a new gun/caliber) and I want to know what is the best ammo to put in it.

I currently use 147 hydra shock hollow points.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them"-Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2251 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 153

In my experience, the "frangible" ammo in 9mm does not break up when impacting a soft target be it flesh, wall board or body armor. The Speer RHT remains intact after impacting our shredded rubber backstop. It will act much like FMJ in a human target unless it hits a substantial bone.

You must consider any expected intermediate barriers when chosing your bullet. If you are in a cold climate where any intruder would likely be wearing heavy clothing, go heavier. The 147 Gold Dot is not subsonic and works well. The 124+P Gold Dot is a reasonable alternative. In a warm climate where the anticipated intruder would likely be wearing nothing heavier than a t-shirt and jeans, the 115 JHP would be sufficient (Probably).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball