Frangible Ammo for Home and Carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Frangible Ammo for Home and Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Frangible Ammo for Home and Carry

I'm just starting the process of looking for small quantities of frangible ammo and am looking at Ammunition to Go. They have 2 different .45ACP's listed....96 grain +P and 68 grain +P.

Since my typical range ammo is 230 grain FMJ, I'm now lost as to what 68 and 96 grain means. Is that how many pellets are in the frangible part? Another site has 150 grain.

What would be the best frangible ammo for both carry and home defense?

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Now I'm reading that frangible is not the way to go for either home defense or carry because of the lack of stopping power, and to just stick with high quality JHP. Anyone wish to confirm this? And what is the better or best JHP? Since I'm only buying one box of each, I'm ok with expensive.

12FRETTER

Last edited by 12fretter; 01-24-2012 at 03:50 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wouldn't mess with the frangible stuff either unless I was REALLY worried about penetrating apartment walls or something like that.

When I carry my 1911 I load it with 230gr Remington Golden Saber. But then, I put a few hundred of those rounds through it first to confirm function. I suggest you do the same. Don't buy one box and call it good unless your self defense handgun is a revolver.

I carry Fiocchi Extreema XTP in my 9mm. It isn't too expensive to run through the gun at the range and Hornady's XTP bullet is a known performer.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

The Magsafe and Glaser are niche loads and VERY expensive. The terminal reliability is great on unprotected targets, but can be dismal when facing something like a heavy leather jacket. Stick to good HP ammo. My preference is the Speer Gold Dot.

And, the stated grain weight is the total weight of the projectile. Weight gives penetration. Extreme light weight projectiles such as this are prone to make shallow nasty wounds that do not reach the vitals of a large or heavily clothed adversary.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #4

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts

Yep, I've come to the same conclusion as you both. Thanks for replying. I'm going to start with a box and go shoot 'em to make sure they cycle and go from there.

Here is a great review comparing the Ranger T series to the Golden Saber. Yikes! That T series is one NASTY looking hole maker:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/carry-guns-ammo/10521-ranger-t-series-vs-golden-saber-45-acp.html

If they work in my 1911, that's what I want to carry.

Thanks again.

12FRETTER

Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Milk jugs? Really? If you are planning on being attacked by milk jugs, either is just fine. If you are preparing for self defense from animate objects, look no further than the Speer Gold Dot. I thought we all got over the infatuation with the "Talons" 20 years ago with the Black Talons. They had and still have a nasty habit of shedding the jackets inside real targets. The Golden Sabre is worse than that. I see the results in REAL targets....GOLD DOT!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I wouldn't use frangible ammo for self defense. It would probably
cause a nasty surface wound and nothing else allowing the bad
guy to stay in the fight. I carry the Winchester Ranger "T",
Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST. They are all good with some
better than others depending upon who you talk to.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg