Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Frangible Ammo for .223 AR15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/frangible-ammo-223-ar15-69031/)

drvsafe 07-26-2012 10:25 PM

Frangible Ammo for .223 AR15

I went to the range last night with my PWS MK114 AR to zero the MBUS and plink about.

I got great results on the zero @25 yds. the problem is that while my range allowed me to zero my rifle with 55 grain FMJ they won't let me shoot it regularly. they had come 4s grain frangible to shoot, which I didn't think much of until I used them and came up with a 10% FTF rate. PWS claimed it's most likely the shape and size of the bullet itself, which is markedly lighter and smaller and a different shape.

Their suggestion was a 52-55 grain frangible round and the PWS will eat them up.

Anyone with a suggestion for this, 52-55 grain frangible .223 ammunition?

thanks in advance...:rolleyes:

drvsafe 07-26-2012 10:34 PM

check out my post towards the bottom with the quarter, how does that group look?

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/u-good-shot-show-ur-targets-videos-65563/index14.html#post882421

Sniper03 07-26-2012 10:38 PM

drvsafe,

There is also two types of frangible out there. The powdered sintered metal and copper bonded. FTF with frangible is a common situation unless you have excellent M-4 Feed Ramps on your rifle. If you get a chance to look at a Rock River CAR A4 or similar tactical rifle check out the ramps. If your rifle has the M-4 type feed ramps they can be polished with very fine polishing tips like the ones made by Cratex! I use the medium grade polishing tips. You do not want to remove metal just polish the ramps. Normally this will also for the biggest part eliminate the frontal bounce. The heavier grain frangible could assist with reliability. They have less front end bounce when going to the chamber up the feed ramps out of the magazine. Sometimes going to an H-2 Buffer will help? Slows things down a little bit.
There is also sometimes a problem with side strikes on the target at 50+ yards. This is all due to the barrel twist if you ever experience this. The sintered frangible in the 55 gr rangeseem to shoot best across the board in the AR.

drvsafe 07-26-2012 10:45 PM

thanks sniper.

Is frangible the same as soft point, like the Ultramax .223 Remington Ammo – 55-Grain Soft-Point or is that a completely different item?

the manufacturer suggested not polishing but reshaping the ramps but I don't want to adapt the rifle JUST to accommodate that ammo type...

RemFire 07-26-2012 10:52 PM

What about the Hornady V-max range (or A-max or even Z-max for that matter:rolleyes:).

Its normally great to feed in fussy rifles.

Sniper03 07-26-2012 11:04 PM

drvsafe and Remfire,

Frangible is a totally different type of ammunition. As stated it is comprised in this case of the sintered metal which is a powdered metal bullet bonded into a bullet. When it strikes anything hard like steel for instance it turns to powdered dust immediately. The other frangible is a copper powder bonded with a material like ceramic. When it strike a steel or hard target it also turns to dust. They are used in a lot of indoor ranges because they can sweep up the copper dust and sell it by the pound! For example using a frangible bullet I have stood with in three feet from a steel target and shot it. Not that I would recommend doing it! The bullet totally disintegrates on impact with not shrapnel! The bullets like the V-max and Ultra Max are of the regular ammunition family. They are regular bullets with a polymer center insert. And you would not dare shoot a metal or hard target at close range unless you want to get cut possibly or worse!
Hope that explains it a little more for you!

RemFire 07-26-2012 11:32 PM

Genius!. Never heard of them until now, thanks.

JonM 07-27-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe (Post 882974)
check out my post towards the bottom with the quarter, how does that group look?

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/u-good-shot-show-ur-targets-videos-65563/index14.html#post882421

frangibles tend to have very minimal charges to prevent the bullets from vaporizing soon as they leave the barrel. they arent long range rounds. open your gas block some if yours is adjustable. using a light weight buffer may help with cycling. just dont forget to switch back for regular ammo.

drvsafe 07-27-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03
drvsafe and Remfire,

Frangible is a totally different type of ammunition. As stated it is comprised in this case of the sintered metal which is a powdered metal bullet bonded into a bullet. When it strikes anything hard like steel for instance it turns to powdered dust immediately. The other frangible is a copper powder bonded with a material like ceramic. When it strike a steel or hard target it also turns to dust. They are used in a lot of indoor ranges because they can sweep up the copper dust and sell it by the pound! For example using a frangible bullet I have stood with in three feet from a steel target and shot it. Not that I would recommend doing it! The bullet totally disintegrates on impact with not shrapnel! The bullets like the V-max and Ultra Max are of the regular ammunition family. They are regular bullets with a polymer center insert. And you would not dare shoot a metal or hard target at close range unless you want to get cut possibly or worse!
Hope that explains it a little more for you!

Great explanation, I suppose I have to ask the guys at the range if the ultramax will be ok by them. they're concerned about their backstop taking on the force of the FMJ, so perhaps the Ultramax would be a happy medium..

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM

frangibles tend to have very minimal charges to prevent the bullets from vaporizing soon as they leave the barrel. they arent long range rounds. open your gas block some if yours is adjustable. using a light weight buffer may help with cycling. just dont forget to switch back for regular ammo.

This may be an option as well in addition to polishing the feed ramp.

JonM 07-27-2012 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe (Post 883211)

This may be an option as well in addition to polishing the feed ramp.

i would not polish the feed ramps that can easily and likely make it worse.