Fragmented ammo question? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Fragmented ammo question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.D. View Post
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
CPT:

Thanks for posting.

Yes its a med. cond. and yes I have plenty of shotgun experience. and yes I have pistols and experience in their use.
I am not wanting to use varmint ammo so much as I am just exploring the feasibility of using 5.56MM or 7.62x39MM ammo that wont be very likely to penetrate home drywall. Sheetrock, wallboard ETC. while still offering a reliable & quick stop to the fight.
I figure the bullet manufacturing technology is likely to exist, so I thought I would ask around and see if anyone here knew anything about it.

Do you have any experience with a round that fits the originally stated criteria?
You mentioned and provided a link to the Extreme Shock ammo site; do you have any experience with this ammo or anything like it?

N.D.
Extreme shock ammo is snake oil just like Lemas BMT.

Always be wary of any ammo that is tested in wax or clay.
"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #32

Default Welcome Back !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
Extreme shock ammo is snake oil just like Lemas BMT.

Always be wary of any ammo that is tested in wax or clay.
OH boy or (should I say girl) do I ever agree with this statement!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

In reality I always choose my Ammo based on the reveiws of how "A Given Round" performs via its work record in its intended working medium which is of course live Human Bodies.

I really dis-trust "any flesh simulators" & There are plenty of LEO shootings going on in the world which (After a well documented Autopsy) provides the required data.)

N.D

Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
OK look where do you live? Is it in a McMansion along with all your other yuppie friends or an appartment in the city or like many here out in the middle of the country side where your closest neighbor may be 500 to 1000+ yards away.

My dad lives in a area where the smallest lot size is 10 acres. The closes person to him is the neighbor on the left of him who is well over 200 yards away. If my dad came to me and asked what he needed for a Home Defense weapon. I would tell him to get a short barreld AR (M-4) and use Hornady TAP or something like that. Back up would be a Remmy 870 or Mossberg 500 loaded with 00 Buck. He lives in an area that he can afford to use a rifle.

If you live in the burbs you need a shotty or a pistol there is no other way around it that is it give up on using a high powered rifle for HD in the burbs or city. If you are so stuck on using it then do it. But make a note that more then likely your going to kill other people you are not wanting too......

If you can handle the recoil of a rifle then why can't you handle the recoil of a shotgun? There are other options other then the Water buffalo stomper 12ga 3.5" slugs you know. I found some 1.75" 12 ga buck shot rounds. I think these would be more than useful in a burb or apartment. I am no expert but I am sure a bad guy confronted with a 12 ga is going to know he effed the hell up..... He doesn't know your shooting 1.75" shells and not 3.5". Seeing as the engagement distance is something like 10 feet max I think these shells would work fine.
Capt:

Wow I knew I was a little out of the loop but holy cow! I knew about sarges 2" 12GA shot shells butt, When did they create those nifty 1.75" 12 gauge shells capy?

N.D.

Last edited by N.D.; 12-06-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Omission

Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #34

Default RE: my Mcmansion and urban yuppie friends ETC..

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.D. View Post
This is the Hypothetical question scenario:
I was thinking of using either a 5.56MM or a 7.62x39MM carbine for home defense and I am concerned about over pen in home walls.

I don't wanna reach out & touch the neighbors so I am looking for some good (IE; reliable and reasonably accurate for its intended purpose) fragmenting or pre - fragmented ammo to solve this concern.

I am really hoping to get AMMO SUGGESTIONS,
not advice to get a (shoulder cant take the recoil anyway) shotgun.
All AMMO SUGGESTIONS or RELATED info. will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capy:

I Am currently Writing this from my McMansion (Near SW Detroit the one time Murder Capitol of America) with the help of all my Yuppie girl friends while hangin out W/ their large-N-lovely McPuppies, drinking wine spritzers, and later on after we get really funky we'll have some sex on the beach a few times (the Drink) and then if we weren't so terribly square we could really rock out with our socks out. lol

now seriously:

I have a very great respect/affection for the shotty especially
when used for close range SD, and Yes I did grow a pair; I got myself some handguns/pistols many years ago.
I currently am using as home defense A Dan Wesson Custom/Custom 1911 in .45
a G23 in .40 and a Kahr P45 in .45 with others still in reserve.

YMMV

But . .

"This really is not a question or debate about Shottys and their performance" or SD handguns & ammo for that matter.

"I almost think this thread has been mistaken/hijacked for "the SD handgun & Shotty thread ".

Thank you all for the shotty posts and your Shotty questions.

"Look Above" I think everyone will find

THE PARAMETERS

of my question/s?
__________________________________________________ _______________((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( ((

Capy:

Real talk

W/O question I have never ever fired a 12 or a 20GA that was quite as easy as a 5.56MM (5.56 = almost no recoil) rifle is on my shoulder.
(Now a 20GA w/ very light squirrel loads) could be argued to not be all that much worse in the recoil DEPT. than an AK variant chambered in 7.62x39MM . . but . . given that choice I would still choose the AK s' lesser recoil with a larger round count capacity, quicker follow ups (for me), longer range easily shorter OA length, bull pup ETC. ETC. IE; more desirable to
/$/( "me")/$/

* In the mid 90" s' using various types of ammo from 3 " Slugs on down to small game (bird) loads I PERSONALLY tested out a Mosberg 590 12GA for various perf. parameters (IE; penetration, recoil, speed of follow up shots, ETC. durring my test I expended hundreds of rounds of just 0 Buck alone.
(I really liked that Shotty But I really HATED the RECOIL and I have checked out plenty (for me) of AUTOPSY results/case reports on the damage a 12 GA can do to the Human body at close range .)

In short;
I am VERY VERY satisfied for the moment on 12GA and SHOTTY SD INFO. most Especialy in this thread thanks.

YMMV

Thanks for your service to our country capy.
__________________________________________________ _______________
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))_____________ __________________________________________________ __

(place Air raid horn sound here.)

This is a public service announcement:

"Now" everyone.
Since I've been set straight now by most every poster in this thread on the fact that I'll have to make a Penetration/stopping power compromise if I use a 5.56MM or 7.62x39MM RIFLE instead of a 12 GA. He Man SHOTTY . .

(which BTW I both knew and did actually take into consideration before deciding to post that 1ST. post, please see it above above)

Can we please move on w/ this threads stated parameters and drop the SHOTTY & Handgun recommendations and INFO.???

Thank you gentle s' all.

I will now pause for a moment for some Zen like breathing exercises . . In . . . . . . Out . . . . . . In . . . . . . Out . . . . . . ETC. . . .
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))((((((((((((( (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( ((((((((((((((((((((((((__________________________ _______________________________________

robocop10MM:

(Singing)

Hold up . . wait a MIN. . ETC . . .

(Normal voice)

Oops I almost forgot I have to Give out the MVP award and a shout out as well to . . my man! . . .

*robocop10MM*

for hookin me up on the DL an giving me the most valuable info. of anyone in this thread so far and being kind enough to the NOOOB to not beat me over the head W/ it either.
(which is a fine example for him to set for other *Ahem* *cough* forumites.)

robo really gave me a GOLD mine of info. on a very valuable side subject.
( Standing rob - ation )

Hey robo ? ! ?
(The Pun/s were def. intended bro.) lol

Thank you robo ! WHOO WHOO
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))((((((((((((( (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( ((((((((((((((((((((((((

Now moving on so . . .

Heres another question for the thread in Gen. on the Side:

Has any one ever used or heard of RBCD Platinum Plus Ammo designed by R.Stoker from Performance Plus & J.Cirillo the late Former LEO who once worked for Detroit PD and I believe NY PD, U.S.Customs,
The U.S. (I think)Treasury ?

The ammo comes loaded in both handgun and rifle cals and in both totally fragmenting and partially fragmenting and penetrating special purpose LE/MIL only ammo.

Hey don't burn me as a witch; just because I'm curious!