fmj - flat point

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > fmj - flat point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Default fmj - flat point

Federal 147grain fmj flat point, what is the difference between this, and the standard round point...? What does one do better than the other...?

image03162013161739.jpg   image03162013161839.jpg  

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5954 Times on 3371 Posts
Likes Given: 5524

You can't get very heated arguments over the value of 147 grain ammo.

The FMJ FP is, IMHO, just a good practice round for those who use 147 premium JHP ammo.

147 grain subsonics were developed specifically for suppressed MP5 submachineguns.

I don't like 'em, but some folks do.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7341 Times on 4417 Posts
Likes Given: 9057

I don't mean to hijack this thread but what's the difference between a flat point and a wad cutter?

Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7468 Times on 4072 Posts
Likes Given: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I don't mean to hijack this thread but what's the difference between a flat point and a wad cutter?
Aren't wadcutter projectiles flush with the case?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 400

A wadcutter is a special-purpose flat-fronted bullet specially designed for shooting paper targets, usually at close range and at subsonic velocities usually out of revolvers that leave a paper punch like hole in the target.
A semiwadcutter or SWC is a type of all-purpose bullet commonly used in revolvers. The SWC combines features of the wadcutter target bullet and traditional round nosed revolver bullets, and is used in both revolver and pistol cartridges for hunting, target shooting, and plinking. Full wadcutters frequently have problems feeding from magazines reliably in automatics, so SWCs may be used when a true WC is desired but cannot be used for this reason.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
Federal 147grain fmj flat point, what is the difference between this, and the standard round point...? What does one do better than the other...?
flat points in rifle rounds will likely punch through bone instead of bounce off or deflect off bone. thats why you see most dangerous game bullets in the big 40+ calibers have flat noses. and the most effective 357/44 bullets are also flat.

my preference is for flat nose bullets whenever possible for defense and hunting. in hunting applications they dont deflect and go straight through regardless of skeletal structure. this makes for a devasting animal instantly dropping round.

im a devotee of the 45 diameter bullets they are effective at any realistic range. there are an amazing variety of bullets and the most important thing a huge percentage of them are available in flat pointed design.

if i have a choice between flatpoint and hollow point i pick flat everytime

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

A wadcutter is a cylindrical design that punches a perfect hole in a paper target. The flat point 147 gr 9mm is made to reduce bullet length. The 147 is very heavy, and thus very long. A round nose 147 would be WAY to long for the max oal of the cartridge.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7341 Times on 4417 Posts
Likes Given: 9057

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
flat points in rifle rounds will likely punch through bone instead of bounce off or deflect off bone. thats why you see most dangerous game bullets in the big 40+ calibers have flat noses. and the most effective 357/44 bullets are also flat.

my preference is for flat nose bullets whenever possible for defense and hunting. in hunting applications they dont deflect and go straight through regardless of skeletal structure. this makes for a devasting animal instantly dropping round.

im a devotee of the 45 diameter bullets they are effective at any realistic range. there are an amazing variety of bullets and the most important thing a huge percentage of them are available in flat pointed design.

if i have a choice between flatpoint and hollow point i pick flat everytime
Thank you. Very informative.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #9

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

That to me looks like a truncated cone bullet.

They are just different bullet profiles. Some pistols shoot them better than RN bullets.