Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   fmj - flat point (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/fmj-flat-point-86703/)

readygirl 03-16-2013 09:27 PM

fmj - flat point

2 Attachment(s)
Federal 147grain fmj flat point, what is the difference between this, and the standard round point...? What does one do better than the other...?

locutus 03-16-2013 09:32 PM

You can't get very heated arguments over the value of 147 grain ammo.

The FMJ FP is, IMHO, just a good practice round for those who use 147 premium JHP ammo.

147 grain subsonics were developed specifically for suppressed MP5 submachineguns.

I don't like 'em, but some folks do.

winds-of-change 03-17-2013 01:42 AM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but what's the difference between a flat point and a wad cutter?

MisterMcCool 03-17-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I don't mean to hijack this thread but what's the difference between a flat point and a wad cutter?

Aren't wadcutter projectiles flush with the case?

Pasquanel 03-17-2013 02:19 AM

A wadcutter is a special-purpose flat-fronted bullet specially designed for shooting paper targets, usually at close range and at subsonic velocities usually out of revolvers that leave a paper punch like hole in the target.
A semiwadcutter or SWC is a type of all-purpose bullet commonly used in revolvers. The SWC combines features of the wadcutter target bullet and traditional round nosed revolver bullets, and is used in both revolver and pistol cartridges for hunting, target shooting, and plinking. Full wadcutters frequently have problems feeding from magazines reliably in automatics, so SWCs may be used when a true WC is desired but cannot be used for this reason.

JonM 03-17-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readygirl (Post 1178316)
Federal 147grain fmj flat point, what is the difference between this, and the standard round point...? What does one do better than the other...?

flat points in rifle rounds will likely punch through bone instead of bounce off or deflect off bone. thats why you see most dangerous game bullets in the big 40+ calibers have flat noses. and the most effective 357/44 bullets are also flat.

my preference is for flat nose bullets whenever possible for defense and hunting. in hunting applications they dont deflect and go straight through regardless of skeletal structure. this makes for a devasting animal instantly dropping round.

im a devotee of the 45 diameter bullets they are effective at any realistic range. there are an amazing variety of bullets and the most important thing a huge percentage of them are available in flat pointed design.

if i have a choice between flatpoint and hollow point i pick flat everytime

robocop10mm 03-17-2013 02:14 PM

A wadcutter is a cylindrical design that punches a perfect hole in a paper target. The flat point 147 gr 9mm is made to reduce bullet length. The 147 is very heavy, and thus very long. A round nose 147 would be WAY to long for the max oal of the cartridge.

winds-of-change 03-17-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1178768)
flat points in rifle rounds will likely punch through bone instead of bounce off or deflect off bone. thats why you see most dangerous game bullets in the big 40+ calibers have flat noses. and the most effective 357/44 bullets are also flat.

my preference is for flat nose bullets whenever possible for defense and hunting. in hunting applications they dont deflect and go straight through regardless of skeletal structure. this makes for a devasting animal instantly dropping round.

im a devotee of the 45 diameter bullets they are effective at any realistic range. there are an amazing variety of bullets and the most important thing a huge percentage of them are available in flat pointed design.

if i have a choice between flatpoint and hollow point i pick flat everytime

Thank you. Very informative.

gunnut07 03-19-2013 05:25 PM

That to me looks like a truncated cone bullet.

They are just different bullet profiles. Some pistols shoot them better than RN bullets.