You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

First small batch of reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3946 Times on 1769 Posts
Likes Given: 3569

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
This is just what we "DO NOT NEED" here. All I see this as "PROMOTING AN UNSAFE PRACTICE". You may not have ever had one go off in 30 years, but that is no excuse for promoting a potentially dangerous and unsafe practice, especially to a new re-loader. JMHO.

Jim..............

That's your opinion. even if it goes off so what it just goes bang it won't hurt you. If it was as dangerous as you make it sound surely the lee loader would have been pulled off the market. He's in more danger driving to the shop to buy more brass.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I am NOT going to try and decap a live primer don't worry. That just sounds stupid IMO.. I will chamber it and set if off if it will not harm anything. But none the less it is just one case and I have more on the way.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #13

Default primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I know some will get their panties in a wad over this but it really is no big deal. Awhile ago someone gave me 1400 rounds of questionable handloads all with new brass. I pulled all the bullets and disposed of the powder because I didn't know what it was. I then decapped every one them and not a single primer detonated. I now have a good supply of 44 mag brass for free. I remember many moons ago I got started loading with the old lee loader and hammer and occasionally a primer would detonate while installing a primer. No big deal, just use some common sense and don't put your face over it. In more than 30 years of handloading I've never had a primer detonate while decapping on the press.

Just curious, but why did you deprime all of those cases? You will just have to reprime them anyway. I would just go ahead and reload them w/ the primers that were already in them, after pulling the bullets and dumping the powder of course.
cottontop

Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #14

Liked 3946 Times on 1769 Posts
Likes Given: 3569

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Just curious, but why did you deprime all of those cases? You will just have to reprime them anyway. I would just go ahead and reload them w/ the primers that were already in them, after pulling the bullets and dumping the powder of course.
cottontop

Because I didn't know if they were magnum primers or standard large pistol. When it comes to real danger like excessive pressures I always error on the side of caution.

Like I said before I've had primers detonate with the lee loader while priming with my fingers right over the top of the case and it doesn't hurt you, it scares the crap out of you but it isn't dangerous. Yes I know the manuals tell you not to decap live primers. Because they can't control how you do things and they don't want some lawyer dragging them to court. The OP asked our opinions and I gave him mine based on decades of experience. There are always people with no common sense that might do it with open containers of powder near by. Open containers while your doing any loading step is just plain sloppy. If you are lazy and or stupid you shouldn't be handloading.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

The reason the primer is in a bad position is because the case wasn't processed correctly. No one knows what the actual problem is; so no one should recommend possible hazardous situation.

You should have never introduced powder to that case. I would have suggested the case and primer to a soaking in WD-40 for a good long time before disposing... (or whatnot; we still haven't seen the primer.)

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers

Even pulling the bullet with a inertia puller may be hazardous.

Mishap with inertia puller

Last edited by The_Kid; 08-27-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added info