First small batch of reloads
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > First small batch of reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ell here is a pic of my first batch of reloads. It took a few to get the seating die adjusted but I got it done. I did one at a time checked rechecked then rechecked again to make sure the powder was right. I got 26 good loads and had to redo 2 due the being to short. I had one primer not seat right. What do you do with them just toss them? It is in the case cocked.

image-942170302.jpg

The pic shows 26 on the right the 2 redoes on the left.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #2

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Just toss the bad one. Looks like you are on the right track. Welcome to the world of re-loading.

Jim.........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #3

Liked 2762 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 2656

I know some will get their panties in a wad over this but it really is no big deal. Awhile ago someone gave me 1400 rounds of questionable handloads all with new brass. I pulled all the bullets and disposed of the powder because I didn't know what it was. I then decapped every one them and not a single primer detonated. I now have a good supply of 44 mag brass for free. I remember many moons ago I got started loading with the old lee loader and hammer and occasionally a primer would detonate while installing a primer. No big deal, just use some common sense and don't put your face over it. In more than 30 years of handloading I've never had a primer detonate while decapping on the press.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

At least pull the bullets and save them. If you don't have a bullet puller get a kinetic RCBS one, -they look like hammers-

Old 08-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #5

I have a puller that is how I redid 2 rounds. I will just toss the bad primer case.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I also have removed live primers no issues just use common sense and wear glasses just to be safe

Old 08-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1026 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Can you chamber an empty shell with a live primer and touch it off? Also, is there any reason you can't reload a shell with a live primer, just skipping the primer stage?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #8

The primer is cocked a bit. I did not remove the crimp well enough. It my not even go off right. It is only 1 shell I have more coming from a friend that is sending me a few hundred empties for the price of shipping only. Lol a whole 10 bucks. And I still have 500+ rounds to shoot off. Lol.

Big question where is the best place to order bulk bullets from? I know midway but where else?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #9

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I know some will get their panties in a wad over this but it really is no big deal. Awhile ago someone gave me 1400 rounds of questionable handloads all with new brass. I pulled all the bullets and disposed of the powder because I didn't know what it was. I then decapped every one them and not a single primer detonated. I now have a good supply of 44 mag brass for free. I remember many moons ago I got started loading with the old lee loader and hammer and occasionally a primer would detonate while installing a primer. No big deal, just use some common sense and don't put your face over it. In more than 30 years of handloading I've never had a primer detonate while decapping on the press.
This is just what we "DO NOT NEED" here. All I see this as "PROMOTING AN UNSAFE PRACTICE". You may not have ever had one go off in 30 years, but that is no excuse for promoting a potentially dangerous and unsafe practice, especially to a new re-loader. JMHO.

Jim..............

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5996 Times on 3137 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Can you chamber an empty shell with a live primer and touch it off? Also, is there any reason you can't reload a shell with a live primer, just skipping the primer stage?
yes you can put an empty case in a firearm and set it off. i do that into a metal container from time to time to prevent the flame from the primer setting anything on fire. its a useful way to do final testing of firing pin protrusion on rifles with adjustable strikers.

yes you can load empty primed cases. i typically re-necksize only the case. you can do this by removing the decaping rod on certain sizing dies. some you cant do it since the neck sizer is part of the decap assembly and wont stay connected without the pin. dies like dillon are just such a die. i do have a stem thats broken so i just use that to re-necksize without decapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMatt72 View Post
The primer is cocked a bit. I did not remove the crimp well enough. It my not even go off right. It is only 1 shell I have more coming from a friend that is sending me a few hundred empties for the price of shipping only. Lol a whole 10 bucks. And I still have 500+ rounds to shoot off. Lol.

Big question where is the best place to order bulk bullets from? I know midway but where else?
please dont decap live primers. its not a good idea regardless of how long other people have been doing it for decades without an issue. its like the guy that goes into denali park saying "ive been walking up to bears for 30 years and feeding em a sandwhich every friday. havent been bit yet. i KNOW what im doing..."

depends on the caliber. upammo(one of our vendors) has good prices and is currently running a Firearmstalk only discount deal. then there is graf and sons brownells and other online sellers. shipping can often be a huge cost in online bullet buying due to weight.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...