Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   First small batch of reloads (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/first-small-batch-reloads-71175/)

GaMatt72 08-26-2012 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ell here is a pic of my first batch of reloads. It took a few to get the seating die adjusted but I got it done. I did one at a time checked rechecked then rechecked again to make sure the powder was right. I got 26 good loads and had to redo 2 due the being to short. I had one primer not seat right. What do you do with them just toss them? It is in the case cocked.

Attachment 55787

The pic shows 26 on the right the 2 redoes on the left.

masterPsmith 08-26-2012 09:48 PM

Just toss the bad one. Looks like you are on the right track. Welcome to the world of re-loading.

Jim.........

rjd3282 08-26-2012 11:20 PM

I know some will get their panties in a wad over this but it really is no big deal. Awhile ago someone gave me 1400 rounds of questionable handloads all with new brass. I pulled all the bullets and disposed of the powder because I didn't know what it was. I then decapped every one them and not a single primer detonated. I now have a good supply of 44 mag brass for free. I remember many moons ago I got started loading with the old lee loader and hammer and occasionally a primer would detonate while installing a primer. No big deal, just use some common sense and don't put your face over it. In more than 30 years of handloading I've never had a primer detonate while decapping on the press.

elfmdl 08-27-2012 12:41 AM

At least pull the bullets and save them. If you don't have a bullet puller get a kinetic RCBS one, -they look like hammers-

GaMatt72 08-27-2012 12:51 AM

I have a puller that is how I redid 2 rounds. I will just toss the bad primer case.

slim325 08-27-2012 12:51 AM

I also have removed live primers no issues just use common sense and wear glasses just to be safe

partdeux 08-27-2012 03:27 AM

Can you chamber an empty shell with a live primer and touch it off? Also, is there any reason you can't reload a shell with a live primer, just skipping the primer stage?

GaMatt72 08-27-2012 03:39 AM

The primer is cocked a bit. I did not remove the crimp well enough. It my not even go off right. It is only 1 shell I have more coming from a friend that is sending me a few hundred empties for the price of shipping only. Lol a whole 10 bucks. And I still have 500+ rounds to shoot off. Lol.

Big question where is the best place to order bulk bullets from? I know midway but where else?

masterPsmith 08-27-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 917030)
I know some will get their panties in a wad over this but it really is no big deal. Awhile ago someone gave me 1400 rounds of questionable handloads all with new brass. I pulled all the bullets and disposed of the powder because I didn't know what it was. I then decapped every one them and not a single primer detonated. I now have a good supply of 44 mag brass for free. I remember many moons ago I got started loading with the old lee loader and hammer and occasionally a primer would detonate while installing a primer. No big deal, just use some common sense and don't put your face over it. In more than 30 years of handloading I've never had a primer detonate while decapping on the press.

This is just what we "DO NOT NEED" here. All I see this as "PROMOTING AN UNSAFE PRACTICE". You may not have ever had one go off in 30 years, but that is no excuse for promoting a potentially dangerous and unsafe practice, especially to a new re-loader. JMHO. :mad:

Jim..............

JonM 08-27-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux (Post 917314)
Can you chamber an empty shell with a live primer and touch it off? Also, is there any reason you can't reload a shell with a live primer, just skipping the primer stage?

yes you can put an empty case in a firearm and set it off. i do that into a metal container from time to time to prevent the flame from the primer setting anything on fire. its a useful way to do final testing of firing pin protrusion on rifles with adjustable strikers.

yes you can load empty primed cases. i typically re-necksize only the case. you can do this by removing the decaping rod on certain sizing dies. some you cant do it since the neck sizer is part of the decap assembly and wont stay connected without the pin. dies like dillon are just such a die. i do have a stem thats broken so i just use that to re-necksize without decapping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaMatt72 (Post 917320)
The primer is cocked a bit. I did not remove the crimp well enough. It my not even go off right. It is only 1 shell I have more coming from a friend that is sending me a few hundred empties for the price of shipping only. Lol a whole 10 bucks. And I still have 500+ rounds to shoot off. Lol.

Big question where is the best place to order bulk bullets from? I know midway but where else?

please dont decap live primers. its not a good idea regardless of how long other people have been doing it for decades without an issue. its like the guy that goes into denali park saying "ive been walking up to bears for 30 years and feeding em a sandwhich every friday. havent been bit yet. i KNOW what im doing..."

depends on the caliber. upammo(one of our vendors) has good prices and is currently running a Firearmstalk only discount deal. then there is graf and sons brownells and other online sellers. shipping can often be a huge cost in online bullet buying due to weight.