Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > first reloading press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have the Lee Pro 1000 progressive press and I use the Auto Disk powder measure. I reload for practice ammo so super precise powder measuring isn't a big deal. I load them for economy. It works very nicely. No problems at all.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I don't like Lee products. So there for I will not endorse them nor will I use them.

If you got a lee press and it is working for you glad to hear that. It is good seeing more people getting into the reloading world. Other than the fact that you new guys keep buying up all the bullets I need.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I don't like Lee products. So there for I will not endorse them nor will I use them.
Noted.

Quote:
If you got a lee press and it is working for you glad to hear that. It is good seeing more people getting into the reloading world. Other than the fact that you new guys keep buying up all the bullets I need.
I think it's great to see people becoming more self reliant, whatever works for them is outstanding, IMHO.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #14

Do you notice that every time a shell goes into the die, the whole shell holder, die and all cant???
That can not be good for precision reloading.

Someone gave me one, I put washers on the bolts on top to hold the die and mount parellel, so now it's an OK single stage, but I load precision ammo and would never put up with the miss alignment the cant gives.

Just my 2 cents, but if you want ammo that shoots better than factory, forget Lee equipment, buy quality reloading equipment, learn how to use it and what it takes to make ammo superior to factory ammo.
Quality reloading equipment will last a life time.

If you just want to crank out spray and pray ammo as fast as you can, then the Lee stuff will do fine.

John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 01-17-2011 at 05:04 AM.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't have a problem with anything canting on the Classic 4-hole press I'm using, not sure which press you're referring to but the one I have works fine as a 4 station auto-indexing press. However I do tighten my dies down with a spanner wrench I made instead of just the "finger tighten" Lee recommends in their instruction manual. If you were just using the finger tight method or the dies were not set properly in the turret I could see they might cant a little, it's also possible the press you were given has considerable wear on it or was abused.

It should also be noted that if the die, shell and shell holder all cant, then they're straight with each other and won't be a problem anyway.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #16

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

WOW!!!....Talk about old school me!.....I still use a single stage Hollywood press from the 1950's......beam type scales and one step at a time. Of course it does keep me out of the wife's way.

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 01-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #17

The die holder cants, I've seen it on all of them. The shell holder does not cant, therfore, your ammo in not going in at a 90 degree angle.

The only thing Lee makes that's worth a darn is their factory crimp die, and that's only if you get one that they managed to cut the fingers evenly in the middle, more than a few arn't.

Buy quality, why even bother to reload if your not making ammo that shoots better than factory.
I just can't see making ammo that groups lousy just because you can do it cheaper.

Just my 2 cents.
I've been reloading for almost 30 years. I do know what works and what quality tools are and Lee is not amoung them.

John K

Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

billybob,

lee's aluminum presses aren't my cup of tea, either, but the classic cast turret is first class...

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 01-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #19

The one given to me was brand new, the guy who had it didn't like it.
I bought a couple of the aluminum die holders, and due to the fact that they have to rotate and the way Lee made the setup, not using a bolt in the middle of the die holder to keep it level, the whole die holder lifts up a little as the case ges into the die.
That's my problem with it, the cases are going into the die at a very slight angle.
It's just the way the press is designed, it's a poor design.
I bolted the die holder down with washers so it can't move, now I get the shell going into the die at exactly a 90 degree angle.
It's now a single stage press.
I have several more, so it gets limited use, but at least I know my cartridges are going in right, not at an off angle from the whole shell holder plate lifting.
I spoke with a tech at Lee, he said the shell holder has to have some slop in order to turn. It's just the design. For me, any angle that's not a perfect angle is not what I want.
I take a great amount of time in prepping my cases, weigh every load of powder and carefully seat the bullets.
I load for better accuracy than factory ammo, and I get it, but it takes precision loading to do so. It's my opinion that the lee press we are talking about does not give the precision to get the kind of reloads I want.

No put downs, I just want people who own this press to be aware of the problem that it has.
If you buy quality reloading equipment, it will last a lifetime. Aluminum turning in a steel ring will wear in not too much time, get quality like the RCBS, Dillon, Redding or Hornady presses and your reloads will be in perfect alignment, usually within .002" with good dies.

John K

Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman46 View Post
lee's aluminum presses aren't my cup of tea, either, but the classic cast turret is first class...
My Classic Turret Press loads straight, accurate ammunition that feeds and fires in all my rifles and pistols. The rounds I have compared to the factory loads were also more accurate with the 357 Magnum through a Thompson Center handgun being the biggest improvement. The 270 and 30-30 were also more accurate but not to the degree of the 357, the Thompson was being shot at 50 and 100 yards and the factory pistol rounds just didn't group well at that distance. I haven't bothered to bench test the 45 or 9mm but I see no reason to think they won't be more accurate than the factory loaded ammo of the same caliber.

To date the press has 2465 rounds loaded and I'm getting ready to load some 9mm Makarov since Lee's Custom Services got the Factory Crimp Die to me in 11 days.