Fired my first batch

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Fired my first batch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 336 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Fired my first batch

Not good. I reloaded 48 rounds with the following formula:

Alliant Bullseye/185 gr Flat Nose/4.3 gr/Remington Large Pistol Primers

Lots of failure to eject and stovepiping issues. A few failure to load. The accuracy was good and the recoil was way lower than with the Federal 230 FMJ I have been shooting up to this point. I fired 4 mags of factory ammo first and the gun (SA 1911) ran flawlessly.

Also had this:

Fairly sizeable burn on the brass. Would this be due to a weak crimp?

Will increasing the powder solve the ejection issues? This gun usually send it flying several feet and my reloads had it basically falling at my feet. The max for powder is 5.6 gr according to my Lyman manual.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The closest thing I have to your bullet for bullseye is for 185 grain xtp (hollow point). It's shows 5.6 to 6.4 grains. That makes me think it's to light of a load. I would make 5 rounds with 4.5 grains, 5 with 4.7,and so on up to max and see what cycles correctly. Then start with the lowest charge that will run your gun and work your way up to max to find what is most accurate. Just because the lightest load is "safe" doesn't mean it will cycle every gun.

The discoloration on the outside of the brass happens to me as well I wouldn't worry about it

Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Okay. The black on the brass is powder burn because the charge is to weak to expand and seal the chamber. Thats also why its stove piping. Good rule of thumb. Only load 10 to 12 rounds of each charge till you find one that will function the weapon and provide whatever accuracy and recoil your looking for. Then you can go into production. I have found that usually starting in the middle of the spectrum provides a round that's going to be close to that factory feel.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'll have to work my way up. Got overly excited about loading for the first time and produced too many without testing.

The bullets are Berry's and are 185 gr. The Lyman book lists a 185 gr SWC.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 695

I agree with them. I would try a few at around 4.8 or 4.9 and go from there. I'm positive the ejection issues are due to it being too light for that particular pistol.

For my 40 I had to go to almost the middle of suggested powder weight before it cycled correctly and consistently

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts

What's your SA's round count at? Just wondering if its still a little tight. This may be another reason for malfunctions with lighter loads. Either way, better safe than sorry. It's all experimentation until you find the sweet spot.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I was the same way man. Super excited. I loaded up the first dozen, tested and got with it. Very rewarding shooting your own ammo.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoToe1 View Post
What's your SA's round count at? Just wondering if its still a little tight. This may be another reason for malfunctions with lighter loads. Either way, better safe than sorry. It's all experimentation until you find the sweet spot.
It is about 900 now. When I first got it in Oct, I couldn't even drop the slide with my thumb. Now it releases nicely.

I picked up the 185 bullets because they were cheaper than the 230 FMJ and I want to reduce recoil some. I want to use this gun to get back to shooting Bullseye.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I did that too. I was working up some accuracy loads for a .270 with 4064. The more I reduced it the tighter they got. UNTIL........... I got the same thing you got.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2942 Times on 1532 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Mos Def a light load. Case not expanding enough to seal off the chamber, thus the scorching.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball