Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Fired my first batch (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/fired-my-first-batch-80540/)

aandabooks 01-06-2013 09:21 PM

Fired my first batch

Not good. I reloaded 48 rounds with the following formula:

Alliant Bullseye/185 gr Flat Nose/4.3 gr/Remington Large Pistol Primers

Lots of failure to eject and stovepiping issues. A few failure to load. The accuracy was good and the recoil was way lower than with the Federal 230 FMJ I have been shooting up to this point. I fired 4 mags of factory ammo first and the gun (SA 1911) ran flawlessly.

Also had this:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps8f394e77.jpg

Fairly sizeable burn on the brass. Would this be due to a weak crimp?

Will increasing the powder solve the ejection issues? This gun usually send it flying several feet and my reloads had it basically falling at my feet. The max for powder is 5.6 gr according to my Lyman manual.

Kraj 01-06-2013 09:53 PM

The closest thing I have to your bullet for bullseye is for 185 grain xtp (hollow point). It's shows 5.6 to 6.4 grains. That makes me think it's to light of a load. I would make 5 rounds with 4.5 grains, 5 with 4.7,and so on up to max and see what cycles correctly. Then start with the lowest charge that will run your gun and work your way up to max to find what is most accurate. Just because the lightest load is "safe" doesn't mean it will cycle every gun.

The discoloration on the outside of the brass happens to me as well I wouldn't worry about it

dustinoif3 01-06-2013 10:02 PM

Okay. The black on the brass is powder burn because the charge is to weak to expand and seal the chamber. Thats also why its stove piping. Good rule of thumb. Only load 10 to 12 rounds of each charge till you find one that will function the weapon and provide whatever accuracy and recoil your looking for. Then you can go into production. I have found that usually starting in the middle of the spectrum provides a round that's going to be close to that factory feel.

aandabooks 01-06-2013 10:13 PM

I'll have to work my way up. Got overly excited about loading for the first time and produced too many without testing.

The bullets are Berry's and are 185 gr. The Lyman book lists a 185 gr SWC.

jjfuller1 01-06-2013 10:15 PM

I agree with them. I would try a few at around 4.8 or 4.9 and go from there. I'm positive the ejection issues are due to it being too light for that particular pistol.

For my 40 I had to go to almost the middle of suggested powder weight before it cycled correctly and consistently

CamoToe1 01-06-2013 10:26 PM

What's your SA's round count at? Just wondering if its still a little tight. This may be another reason for malfunctions with lighter loads. Either way, better safe than sorry. It's all experimentation until you find the sweet spot.

dustinoif3 01-06-2013 10:31 PM

I was the same way man. Super excited. I loaded up the first dozen, tested and got with it. Very rewarding shooting your own ammo.

aandabooks 01-06-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamoToe1 (Post 1083097)
What's your SA's round count at? Just wondering if its still a little tight. This may be another reason for malfunctions with lighter loads. Either way, better safe than sorry. It's all experimentation until you find the sweet spot.

It is about 900 now. When I first got it in Oct, I couldn't even drop the slide with my thumb. Now it releases nicely.

I picked up the 185 bullets because they were cheaper than the 230 FMJ and I want to reduce recoil some. I want to use this gun to get back to shooting Bullseye.

Popeye77 01-06-2013 10:54 PM

I did that too. I was working up some accuracy loads for a .270 with 4064. The more I reduced it the tighter they got. UNTIL........... I got the same thing you got.

robocop10mm 01-07-2013 01:31 PM

Mos Def a light load. Case not expanding enough to seal off the chamber, thus the scorching.