Finally got to shoot some of my reloads
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Finally got to shoot some of my reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Finally got to shoot some of my reloads

Well as many of you read my previous thread, i had finished up my first batch of 45 acp using speer 230 gr FMJ and Hornady 230gr XTP hp's. I used CCI large pistol primers, and 4.3 grs of titegroup.

I went to the range yesterday and shot 150 rounds of my reloads. 100 fmj's and 50 hp's. I was very satisfied with the performance. I am far from a professional pistol shooter but I was shooting about 3-4'' groups center mass at 12yards. ( I know this is nothing special but hey its a good improvement from what i started with when i shot a pistol for the first time about 11 months ago) I will try to post some photos up on my targets this evening after work.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Congrats!! Loading ammo really opens up the types of firearms you can consider due to cheaper ammo costs.

If i didnt load my own i would prolly not have half the guns i do.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Great success!!!!

Good to hear your home rolls worked without a hitch and that your weapon came home in one piece and you didnt make a trip to the ER.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I was so excited to find myself pleased with my results. I can't wait to load up some more and continue hitting the range with much less damage done to my wallet.

Time for me to order some more 45acp bulllets, I can't wait to try out various brands and bullet weights to see what suits myself and my firearm better. I have already got the reloading bug and I see it being a life long hobby I hope to one day share with my own children one day in the future.

Next time I promise a better range report with photos and a more detailed post as well!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyerracing343 View Post
I was so excited to find myself pleased with my results. I can't wait to load up some more and continue hitting the range with much less damage done to my wallet.

Time for me to order some more 45acp bulllets, I can't wait to try out various brands and bullet weights to see what suits myself and my firearm better. I have already got the reloading bug and I see it being a life long hobby I hope to one day share with my own children one day in the future.

Next time I promise a better range report with photos and a more detailed post as well!
I would check into some gun shows for your components...i think you will find even less damage done to your wallet.

I need powder for some 45acp loads, large pistol primers. I also need .44-240 gr JHPs and 125 gr .357s. So i think i will wait and head to the Indy 1500 for them...i found KILLER deals there the last time i went.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I got my bullets from midway and they were a little pricey but not terrible. I did though get my powder (titegroup) and two bricks of primers from the local gun show though. I think I spend 18.99 on a pound of titegroup, and 29.99 for each brick. (large pistol and large rifle)

Luckily one of the local gunshops has a decent selection of powder and are always willing to order other items if they don't have them it stock. I just wish the fairgrounds down the street from my house had the gun show more than once every 2 months or so.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyerracing343 View Post
I got my bullets from midway and they were a little pricey but not terrible. I did though get my powder (titegroup) and two bricks of primers from the local gun show though. I think I spend 18.99 on a pound of titegroup, and 29.99 for each brick. (large pistol and large rifle)

Luckily one of the local gunshops has a decent selection of powder and are always willing to order other items if they don't have them it stock. I just wish the fairgrounds down the street from my house had the gun show more than once every 2 months or so.
as much as i love midwayusa, as much as i like to shop locally, i have found the gun show is the best place for deals. Being a frugal ( i dont like the word cheap) kinda guy and being dirt poor one must find the absolute best deals when and where possible. I find its worth the money to just bide my time for the next gunshow. The local one at the colisieum sucks at best...so i tag along with some buds and make the 2 hour sojourn to Indy.

Last edited by fmj; 10-10-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #8

$19.00 is not bad for a lb of powder. at the last gunshow i went to there were a ton of ammo sellers but only 1 powder/component seller,his prices were outrageous-$26.00 for lb of bullseye,$18.00 for 100 win 55gr FMJ 22cal bullets. gunshows arent always the best deal. hornady,speer,and sierra are #1 brands and carry a price to match. very good but i think not necessary for a pistol shooting paper for practice. do a good net search,you can find a lot of sellers with very good deals.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ain't it grand to make your own and get to blow'em up too.

As for components, I agree that gun shows are a good place to look. However, I have found that prices will be very different from one to another. Check out what the prices are at your home source before buying at a gun show.
Midway is great and has many items that just can't be found at most places. The killer is anything that you get stuck with that stupid 'Haz Mat' fee.

Enjoy your loads.

OSOK

Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been told that plated bullets are "best" for shooting steel plates. When I shot steel plates, I was more than happy with my cast bullets. I believe in shooting either jacketed bullets from Montana Gold or Precision Delta, shooting my own cast bullets, or shooting commercial cast bullets from mastercastbullets.com or Missouri Bullets.
Currently, plated bullets cost the same or more than the two referenced sources for excellent jacketed bullets.
Moly-Kote bullets, such as Precision Bullets, Bayou Bullets, and Black Bullets International, are edging very close to the cost of plated/jacketed.
I find best accuracy with 200gn L-SWCs of the H&G #68 design. I haven't shot a 230gn in years.
TiteGroup burns rather hot and tends to "smoke" with lead bullets. I found AA2 was best for light target loads and AA5 was best for hardball loads. Solo 1000 is looking very good for light target loads also.