A few reloading questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > A few reloading questions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default A few reloading questions

Working on my first batch of reloads, which happens to be about 500ish rounds of 223's I've gathered over the past year of so. I'm waiting for a good digital scale before finishing up. That should be here an a few days.

I took apart another 223 round to measure the length of stuff. I got 44.45mm on finished case length. What's the +/- value on case length? What is too long and what is too short???

Also...

I put a few rounds together with no powder to see how stuff worked and what it did. I found that I crimp it so the bullet has a little bit of slop and if I adjust it and/or press harder to crimp a little more it sinks the neck down on it self and pings out a big ring right where the neck draws in. It's like the top of the case is getting pressed too hard and squashing.
So what's the trick on getting the bullet held into place tight without jacking up the case???

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #2

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed
. Learning by trial and error can be dangerous.
But so much more fun. in all seriousness reloading can be dangerous if not done right. Take the mans advice

Last edited by ineverFTF; 09-03-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Don't load 500 rnds for a first batch load maybe 5 or 10 if something is wrong with your load powder crimp overall length not seated properly you will have a big mess on your hands

Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim325 View Post
Don't load 500 rnds for a first batch load maybe 5 or 10 if something is wrong with your load powder crimp overall length not seated properly you will have a big mess on your hands
I was planning on about 5 or 6 loads at different grains to see what works best in the hand full of different rifles, then doing the rest with what works best.

So what's the +/- range on case lengths?

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #5

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim325 View Post
You are right with bottle neck rifle loads like .223. Pistol loads are much more forgiving. Only load a few and test before loading large quantities.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #6

Liked 2514 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Check your reloader's manual. (OH, get one...)

You'll see a few specs listed at each caliber,

Most notable is COL or COAL, which is "Cartridge

Overall Length- size with bullet seated.

Then there's "Maximum case length"- The maximum allowance for

a case to stretch.

Then there's "Case trim length"- which is usually .010

(as in, 10 THOUSANDS of an INCH) shorter than Maximum case

length.

Now, all my manuals list this info in thousands of an inch, but

suit yourself. I'd be awfully careful, and follow directions very

closely.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5741 Times on 3000 Posts
Likes Given: 380

ill try and answer some basics.

first get a reloading manual it will have all the answers as to correct case sizes. you should use the dimensions listed in the manual your using powder weights and seating depths from. while there are standard sizes for a given caliber, you will be much safer if your not exceeding the information given in the manual your using. while its ok to go slightly under max case length its extremely dangerous to exceed max case length. it is also very very dangerous to exceed maximum seating depth without special tools to measure the exact throat length of a given firearm.

do not re-use powders from commercial cases.

do not use charge weights based off salvaged powders from commercial cartridges

when you pull a bullet from a loaded case you cannot reseat it without at least resizing the neck of the case that is why your having bad results reseating.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-04-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
when you pull a bullet from a loaded case you cannot reseat it without at least resizing the neck of the case that is why your having bad results reseating.

Pulled the bullet to see the length of the case, weight of the bullet, and weight of the powder to get a starting point with a starting base line. Then I through everything away. Never tried to reuse any of it. Previously shot cases but new Hornady 55 gr bullet.

And I have purchased a few reloading manuals. Nothing shows a maximum or a minimum case length on anything.

~George Washington

Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My lee reloading manual show OACL ( over all case length) min and Max.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #10

Liked 2514 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

What reloading manuals?

THEY ALL provide this data...

Closed Thread