Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Federal JHP for .40 S&W (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/federal-jhp-40-s-w-14674/)

feedsasquatch 06-10-2009 10:07 PM

Federal JHP for .40 S&W

I was wondering how many different types of JHP's Federal made. I got a box for my Glock 23 today from my local gunshop that says "Federal Tactical." It's 180gr, .40 S&W, "Tactical" JHP (LE40T1 on the side). The box is grey, and doesn't say "HST" anywhere on it, so I'm assuming that they're not HST's, but I don't know.

Can someone help the noob? Thanks!

Also, how will this round compare to Remington Golden Saber's 165gr which I also have a box of?

feedsasquatch 06-11-2009 02:04 PM

So does anyone here know anything about .40 S&W Federal Tactical JHP (LE40T1)?

LtpLegend 06-11-2009 02:59 PM

I'm afraid the only help I can offer and you might well know is the higher the grain the more punching power you have but not necessarily stopping power.

So for instance

Hunting: You don't want a grain too high too where it will fully penetrates your target. Its easier for a Deer for example to get away when the shot passes through as opposed to staying in.

Home Defense: If the Grain is too high it will blow right out the other side. This means your bullet won't have as much stopping power unless its a hollow point. The lower grain shot will hit and open up inside the target doing more damage making it deadlier! Also it could pass through the perp and into a loved one or a missed shot can pass through a wall into a bedroom.

Stay away from FMJ too unless your trying to shoot through car doors or the like.

.40 S&W:
Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (Q4355)

robocop10mm 06-11-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtpLegend (Post 115867)
I'm afraid the only help I can offer and you might well know is the higher the grain the more punching power you have but not necessarily stopping power.

So for instance

Hunting: You don't want a grain too high too where it will fully penetrates your target. Its easier for a Deer for example to get away when the shot passes through as opposed to staying in.

Home Defense: If the Grain is too high it will blow right out the other side. This means your bullet won't have as much stopping power unless its a hollow point. The lower grain shot will hit and open up inside the target doing more damage making it deadlier!

Stay away from FMJ too unless your trying to shoot through car doors or the like.

I will respectfully disagree with much of this. I do not think an exit wound is necessarily a bad thing. As long as the bullet has expanded properly and expended most of its energy in the target, an exit wound doubles the bleeding and trauma. If the bullet expands and stays inside the target, how do you know it penetrated sufficiently to pierce one or more vital organs? Enerygy transfer is good when you have 1000 ft/lbs or more to transfer. Very few handguns have that much energy to transfer. Handguns do not make good manstoppers. They do kill, but they do not immediately incapacitate reliably. The effects will take some time to overcome the target. .5 seconds if great. 10 seconds is not good. Determined individuals have survived for several minutes after receiving "lethal" hits. Those individuals are OK with dying, they just want company for the ride to the morgue.

I do not carry a handgun because I am expecting trouble. I carry a handgun because I am not expecting trouble, if I am expecting trouble I will carry my rifle. My handgun will (hopefully) give me the opportunity to get to my rifle.

SIGe-nox 06-11-2009 03:31 PM

Go with the golden sabres or the gold dot hollows. Great man stoppers and excellent feedability. Your gun will love you if you feed them these.

feedsasquatch 06-11-2009 03:44 PM

I have both Federal Tactical 180gr and Remington Golden Saber's 165gr right now. I was just curious which one had more "stopping power" than the other.

SIGe-nox 06-11-2009 03:57 PM

in the 180 Grn, try the SXT's, and the golden sabres are always a good round. You cant really go too wrong these days with all the modern designs of Hp's. In my .40, i carry the Sabres and sometimes the Gold dots. I mostly use the gold dots for my .357 SIG but i have heard that they do wonderful things ballistically for the .40 also.

bs369 06-11-2009 04:56 PM

Federal JHP

Go to Federal's web page and click on "contact us" or something similar. Give them the stock number and they will give all the info you need.

LtpLegend 06-11-2009 07:33 PM

Hitting organs aside or a leg or a head you have more stopping power if the bullet comes to a full stop in the body.

Its like anything in physics the faster you come to a stop the more physical power there is.

I'll tell you what though in hunting especially Deer they get away alot more if your round goes straight through them as apposed to being lodged in them.

Unless you hit someone with a 50 cal lol then its just a big hole and doesn't relate.

and Robocop I agree with you handgun conclusion I would not want to plink 9mm at a doped up well anyone but especially 2-300lb man. That's why many people switched to the .45 for the stopping power especially the .45 rounds with shot in them.

feedsasquatch 06-12-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bs369 (Post 115933)
Go to Federal's web page and click on "contact us" or something similar. Give them the stock number and they will give all the info you need.

Good call. I think I'll do that.