Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   federal gold medal match 308 powder? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/federal-gold-medal-match-308-powder-88967/)

ccrow175 04-17-2013 04:00 AM

federal gold medal match 308 powder?

I've been shooting federal gmm 168 gr 308 ammo for years. As far as I'm concerned, nothing can touch the accuracy they have for a factory ammo. All the components are obvious as far as what makes up the cartridge, except the powder. Has anyone learned their secret or found a close match to what powder they use. There has to be something special they're doing to make a mass produced cartridge so accurate.

hiwall 04-17-2013 04:14 AM

Almost all ammo manufacturers are very secretive about their powders.

Intheshop 04-17-2013 11:18 AM

Google "canister" powder.It should provide an explanation as to the how's and why's,to the differences between powder we reloaders use and what the big manufactures use.

tri70 04-17-2013 11:57 AM

Reloaders take common powders and use exact amounts, use bench rest primers and premium bullets. We trim cases to exact length. By doing all this you achieve great accuracy for 1/2 the cost.

locutus 04-17-2013 03:54 PM

Whatever their proprietary powder is, it will be similar to H335 or H380.

I can duplicate their accuracy with both of those powders.

ccrow175 04-17-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri70 (Post 1216670)
Reloaders take common powders and use exact amounts, use bench rest primers and premium bullets. We trim cases to exact length. By doing all this you achieve great accuracy for 1/2 the cost.

Yes I'm a aware of the process, I've been reloading for years. I have honed my 308 handloads to the point of one jagged hole at 100 yards. My question is based around the fact that I know what work it takes on a bench to gain sub moa accuracy for a handloader. But we all know that there isn't some guy in the back of the federal factory loading each gmm case by hand. So they have to be doing something to gain the accuracy out of a mass produced load.

tri70 04-17-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccrow175 (Post 1216988)
Yes I'm a aware of the process, I've been reloading for years. I have honed my 308 handloads to the point of one jagged hole at 100 yards. My question is based around the fact that I know what work it takes on a bench to gain sub moa accuracy for a handloader. But we all know that there isn't some guy in the back of the federal factory loading each gmm case by hand. So they have to be doing something to gain the accuracy out of a mass produced load.

I would think they are setting up the powder dispensing to be more accurate on the mass production scale.

dustinoif3 04-17-2013 09:51 PM

Have you guys ever heard of the OCW theory? Dans theory is based on why the gmm round is always sub Moa in any rifle. It also ties into optimum barrel times theory. Do a google search for both and give them a read. Good stuff.

ccrow175 04-17-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinoif3 (Post 1217167)
Have you guys ever heard of the OCW theory? Dans theory is based on why the gmm round is always sub Moa in any rifle. It also ties into optimum barrel times theory. Do a google search for both and give them a read. Good stuff.

I just read it, and I must say it brings light to my question. Fascinating stuff.

jpattersonnh 04-17-2013 10:24 PM

Federal used Accurate powder. I called them a couple years ago for some load info on some bullets that were made for them, but they discontiued. The tech told me all they used was accurate, but could not tell me the powder or charge.