Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Federal Champion 45 ACP will now have small primers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/federal-champion-45-acp-will-now-have-small-primers-38522/)

spittinfire 02-15-2011 07:44 PM

Federal Champion 45 ACP will now have small primers

Just got off the phone with Federal about a box I got at Walmart and was told that Federal produces that specifically for Walmart using a plated bullet and to save costs all of it will have small pistol primers. This is a recent change that is still filtering into the market but I thought I would share.

I'm bummed because this was my new brass source and now I need to find a new one.

orangello 02-15-2011 08:04 PM

But i'm sure they will pass the cost savings on to us, right?
:rolleyes:

hunter Joe 02-15-2011 08:22 PM

I run into small primer pockets on some of the once-fired Speer and Blazer brass I get from the range.

I'm wondering if anyone had developed a load using small pistol or small pistol magnum primers for the 45 acp ?

I know that 6.8 spc cartridges come either large pocket or small pocket without any adverse effect.

Squirrel_Slayer 02-15-2011 08:28 PM

This is sacrilege I tell you. So is it feasible that I can go buy .45 GAP and shoot it out of my 1911, and vice versa, go buy a box of .45 ACP and shoot it out of a Glock .45?

spittinfire 02-15-2011 09:05 PM

SS, I agree but in a plant that only makes Federal Champion for Walmart and 45acp is the only pistol round that uses a large primer I see why they are doing it. I don't like it but I understand.

My undersanding is that they can be loaded just like brass with large pistol primers. Double check your loads though.

Squirrel_Slayer 02-15-2011 09:11 PM

I would think there has to be some kind of pressure difference between the two rounds, one with the large primer pocket and the other with the small pocket. Is the price savings really that substantial to purchase the Federal stuff from Wally World? Maybe Blazer is a good alternative for you, and that might be available from say Big 5 or one of the other sporting goods store available to you.

orangello 02-15-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer (Post 446229)
I would think there has to be some kind of pressure difference between the two rounds, one with the large primer pocket and the other with the small pocket. Is the price savings really that substantial to purchase the Federal stuff from Wally World? Maybe Blazer is a good alternative for you, and that might be available from say Big 5 or one of the other sporting goods store available to you.

Some clerk was telling me that this Federal Champion was a replacement for Blazer at Wally'sWorld. IOW, that WW wouldn't be carrying the Blazer anymore, in favor of the Federal. Not sure. Sucks for those of us with limited ammo shopping options. :(

I think i'm just going to start buying all my ammo online.

willfully armed 02-15-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 446226)
45acp is the only pistol round that uses a large primer.

Negative. 10mm does as well, plus its superior to 45, so I understand the change;)

Also, champion IS blazer brass. Same company, same plated bullet, same cheap brass. Just a different name on the headstamp, different box design. They just charge more for it

robocop10mm 02-15-2011 11:33 PM

The Speer Non Toxic .45 ACP uses small primers. I guess they do not make non toxic large pistol primers. I have loaded several thousand rounds of .45 with the same load I use with large primers. They shoot just fine. I find it handy when large primers are scarce.

Eric0424 02-15-2011 11:59 PM