Federal boxes...whats different???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Federal boxes...whats different???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Federal boxes...whats different???

So at gun stores most of the Federal stuff seems to be in "plain Jane" white boxes. At Wally World the FMJ's are in a red box that say American Eagle or something and the JHP's are in a silver and blue box and are called Federal Classic.

Gun store owner says they're just different boxes (you know less fancy blah blah blah on the gun store boxes) SOO.....if I go to the gun shop and buy a box of Federal in a white box that are 115gr JHP's in a brass case (not the +P nickel) will they be the EXACT same as the "federal classic" 115gr FMJ?????? thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #2

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Did you just ask if a box of JHP would be the same as one of FMJ? Or was that a error in my reading or typo in your text?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Did you just ask if a box of JHP would be the same as one of FMJ? Or was that a error in my reading or typo in your text?
Yup.. that's how it looked to me..Had to read it twice....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #4

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I didn't mean to be a D-bag or anything, just trying to assess the level of work this is going to require.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

Sorry guys.....what I'm asking is regardless of FMJ or JHP in a way. I'm asking if the gun store federal ammo is the same as Walmart federal ammo, but just in deferent boxes. For example:
Federal white box FMJ = Federal red box FMJ????
OR Federal white box JHP = Federal Silver box classic JHP

The Walmarts around me are all OUT of 9mm and all other handgun ammo. The gunstores have it BUT all their federal stuff is in plain WHITE boxes with black lettering. Just wondering what the difference is! Thanks

Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #6

Yea that was a typo on my bad....it was late lol

Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #7

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

The Walmarts around here carry the white box as well, that is what I usually buy for plinkin ammo, 38 special and 40 s&w white box fmj

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9207 Times on 3972 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

If you are referring to American Eagle 9mm, difference between red box, and red edges/white center boxes, READ THE LABEL!

One is Full Metal Jacket, the other TMJ- Total Metal Jacket- loaded to different speed, different bullet weight. No exposed lead on base of bullet.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #9

No, these are solid white boxes with black lettering. The FMJ's and the JHP's both in same box just different labels.

So I guess my question boils down to this....does Federal package their ammo different for retail stores in "Fancy" boxes and give the gun shops the plain boxes.

Walmart you look at a box and know which it is but at the gun shop you have to read the label to be absolutely certain, because they are identical plain white boxes.

I AM NOT asking about the difference in what's inside the boxes be it JHP, FMJ, non coated, etc.....I know what's in the boxes. I want to know why the boxes are different at the gun shop than at Walmart. Are they the same or are they better in one box or the other.

I bought a box from the gun store and it was plain white. Gun store owner said he was out of the "American eagles" but those were the exact same but a different box. Bought a box from Walmart and it was the "American eagles." Now take them out of the box and side by side they are identical. All 50 rounds of each box identical.....all 100 total were Federal 115gr FMJ's. No differences to the naked eye but the boxes they came in. The white box shot like crap and the "American Eagles" ran better. I'm curious as to why the gun shop carries both boxes if they are in fact "the same" unless maybe they just get what they get.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Slight difference in velocity (American Eagle abot 40 fps faster). Probably made on different machinery in different factories. Federal operates the Lake City arsenal for the feds. I would bet the AE stuff is loaded on Lake City machines.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball