FC Headstamp Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > FC Headstamp Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FC Headstamp Question

Hello All,

Just got a delivery of FC Crimped brass that I ordered.

Its all Federal, but with different headstamps.

Can anyone tell me the difference in the markings?

I know the numbers mean the year of production, but what would be the difference between FC 223 Rem & FC 08?

Are there any years better than others? It seems that I have from 05 - 08

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #2

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Denotes year of manufacture..............

Jim......

Old 02-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

FC is Federal Cartridge. The FC headstamp is used on some of the "mil spec" or LE ammo. The FC ammo "may" have been manufatured at the Lake City plant that Federal (ATK) runs for DoD. The brass "may" be slightly different than the Fed or Federal stamped brass. It may be made on different machines and/or made of a slightly different alloy.

The best bet is to weigh the cases and sort by weight. Weight will depend mostly on thickness of the brass. Thickness will affect volume. Volume will affect pressure so powder charges must be adjusted to compensate.

WTS, Federal (Fed, FC) brass is my favorite. It tends to run a bit harder than some other brass. Because of the hardness it is "tougher" but may have a slightly shorter life span. You may not get as many loadings out of it. I generally lose the brass before I get any splits.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
FC is Federal Cartridge. The FC headstamp is used on some of the "mil spec" or LE ammo. The FC ammo "may" have been manufatured at the Lake City plant that Federal (ATK) runs for DoD. The brass "may" be slightly different than the Fed or Federal stamped brass. It may be made on different machines and/or made of a slightly different alloy.

The best bet is to weigh the cases and sort by weight. Weight will depend mostly on thickness of the brass. Thickness will affect volume. Volume will affect pressure so powder charges must be adjusted to compensate.

WTS, Federal (Fed, FC) brass is my favorite. It tends to run a bit harder than some other brass. Because of the hardness it is "tougher" but may have a slightly shorter life span. You may not get as many loadings out of it. I generally lose the brass before I get any splits.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I was thought the diff. between FC 223 Rem & FC 08 was commercial and military, respectively.

Would weighing the cases be that crucial if I am not loading to max or near max loads?

I have been sorting them by year as they come out of the 1st tumble.