Favorite "cheap" bullet
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Favorite "cheap" bullet

View Poll Results: Favorite cheap bullet
Hornady Interlock 4 40.00%
Speer Hot Core 1 10.00%
Winchester Power Point 0 0%
Remington Core-Lokt 0 0%
Sierra Pro Hunter 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default Favorite "cheap" bullet

Some of the most die hard bullet fans I have know have loved some of the cheapest bullets, maybe there really is something to flat base cup and core that high tech bonded poly tips cannot recreate. What is your favorite "cheap bullet"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5625 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 371

cast lead.

i can get 20 rounds of soft point brown bear non corrosive 200grain 7.62x54r softpoints for about 12.99 for hunting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Trez Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21577 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

personally, i am partial to Sierra and Hornady bullets. i use a lot of them for working up loads with. my father used a lot of Sierra bullets when he reloaded, so if they were good enough for Dad, they should work fine for me!

Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #4

The way I have always thought of them is.
The Winchester Power Point is the softest of the bunch, they seem to expand very rapidly, but weight retention is below par.
Sierra is the most accurate, I load Sierra bullet in more firearms then I care to count and they perform very well in ALL of them. If there was one gripes I have heard about the Pro Hunter it was their BC and they are a little on the hard side when it comes to expansion.
The Core-Lokt was always middle of the road on everything, expansion was reliable but not shocking, penetration was always adequate but did not always leave an exit. Accuracy has been hit and miss so to speak, some guns love them other just don't.
The Interlock seems to ride between the Core-Lockt and Power Point on the hardness scale, good expansion even at modest speeds but at leased partially held together even on hard impacts.
The Hot Core always seemed to be the tough one of the bunch, expansion alot like the Pro Hunter but with the added assurance of a non-lubracated core which resists slipping better then any conventional cup and core. Extra penetration always seemed good for mixed bag hunts.
That is the way I see them anyway but I could be wrong I don't claim to be an expert on the subject. How do you see them?

Old 10-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 475 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 157

For those of us who cast our own bullets, we can't vote. But had you asked, my favorite cheap bullet cost just about .037 cents per round. It's a 148 Lee wadcutter. With 2.7 grains of Bullseye, it's very accurate.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 10-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 966 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 1248

For me it would be Hornady....I've probably shot a metric ton of them since I was a young hand loader. Cheap to buy, excellent tolerances, accurate ,held together well on impact...

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This 
Old 10-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
For me it would be Hornady....I've probably shot a metric ton of them since I was a young hand loader. Cheap to buy, excellent tolerances, accurate ,held together well on impact...
i use a lot of Hornady pistol bullets. Hornady makes some great bullets for sure.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 966 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i use a lot of Hornady pistol bullets. Hornady makes some great bullets for sure.
I agree same here....I still load with Hornady, although not as exclusively as when I started out. They were the be$t buy at the time...

Sad to say I never really embraced casting my own lead bullets as many did back then. I just didn't want to spend the time or space in doing it. (plus I had enough friends doing it)

I've always kept myself busy / immerged into many "many" things could never stand "idle hands" as they say.... But casting just didn't interest me.

Become steel or get cut.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
I agree same here....I still load with Hornady, although not as exclusively as when I started out. They were the be$t buy at the time...

Sad to say I never really embraced casting my own lead bullets as many did back then. I just didn't want to spend the time or space in doing it. (plus I had enough friends doing it)

I've always kept myself busy / immerged into many "many" things could never stand "idle hands" as they say.... But casting just didn't interest me.
i use Hornady primarily on pistol loads and sometime Speer if they are on sale. but i still prefer the Hornady pistol bullets. i just really like their XTP line of bullets. those things are awesome.

i used mostly Sierra for rifle loads with some Hornady and some Speer bullets as well. i have been thinking about trying out the Barnes bullets for my rifle loads. they look pretty interesting and have heard lots of good about them.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #10

I like XTPs too, never used them much on anything but paper but they sure do cycle and shoot really well in 9mm, 40 and 44 Magnum.
Barnes TTSX is a tricky bullet to get to work right, or maybe Sierra just has me spoiled. I worked up a load in my Swede and tried in my 308 and 30-06 they seem to be hyper sensitive to seating depth. If I need more penetration I'll stick to my Partitions, Deep Curls, or Accubonds they are MUCH easier to get them shooting good.