Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Favorite "cheap" bullet (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/favorite-cheap-bullet-98658/)

Apex-Predator 10-12-2013 12:54 PM

Favorite "cheap" bullet

Some of the most die hard bullet fans I have know have loved some of the cheapest bullets, maybe there really is something to flat base cup and core that high tech bonded poly tips cannot recreate. What is your favorite "cheap bullet"

JonM 10-12-2013 03:11 PM

cast lead.

i can get 20 rounds of soft point brown bear non corrosive 200grain 7.62x54r softpoints for about 12.99 for hunting.

Axxe55 10-12-2013 03:16 PM

personally, i am partial to Sierra and Hornady bullets. i use a lot of them for working up loads with. my father used a lot of Sierra bullets when he reloaded, so if they were good enough for Dad, they should work fine for me!:D

Apex-Predator 10-12-2013 05:28 PM

The way I have always thought of them is.
The Winchester Power Point is the softest of the bunch, they seem to expand very rapidly, but weight retention is below par.
Sierra is the most accurate, I load Sierra bullet in more firearms then I care to count and they perform very well in ALL of them. If there was one gripes I have heard about the Pro Hunter it was their BC and they are a little on the hard side when it comes to expansion.
The Core-Lokt was always middle of the road on everything, expansion was reliable but not shocking, penetration was always adequate but did not always leave an exit. Accuracy has been hit and miss so to speak, some guns love them other just don't.
The Interlock seems to ride between the Core-Lockt and Power Point on the hardness scale, good expansion even at modest speeds but at leased partially held together even on hard impacts.
The Hot Core always seemed to be the tough one of the bunch, expansion alot like the Pro Hunter but with the added assurance of a non-lubracated core which resists slipping better then any conventional cup and core. Extra penetration always seemed good for mixed bag hunts.
That is the way I see them anyway but I could be wrong I don't claim to be an expert on the subject. How do you see them?

gr8oldguy 10-12-2013 05:35 PM

For those of us who cast our own bullets, we can't vote. But had you asked, my favorite cheap bullet cost just about .037 cents per round. It's a 148 Lee wadcutter. With 2.7 grains of Bullseye, it's very accurate.

Steel_Talon 10-12-2013 06:29 PM

For me it would be Hornady....I've probably shot a metric ton of them;) since I was a young hand loader. Cheap to buy, excellent tolerances, accurate ,held together well on impact...

Axxe55 10-12-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel_Talon (Post 1399492)
For me it would be Hornady....I've probably shot a metric ton of them;) since I was a young hand loader. Cheap to buy, excellent tolerances, accurate ,held together well on impact...

i use a lot of Hornady pistol bullets. Hornady makes some great bullets for sure.

Steel_Talon 10-12-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1399493)
i use a lot of Hornady pistol bullets. Hornady makes some great bullets for sure.

I agree same here....I still load with Hornady, although not as exclusively as when I started out. They were the be$t buy at the time...

Sad to say I never really embraced casting my own lead bullets as many did back then. I just didn't want to spend the time or space in doing it. (plus I had enough friends doing it)

I've always kept myself busy / immerged into many "many" things could never stand "idle hands" as they say.... But casting just didn't interest me.

Axxe55 10-12-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel_Talon (Post 1399505)
I agree same here....I still load with Hornady, although not as exclusively as when I started out. They were the be$t buy at the time...

Sad to say I never really embraced casting my own lead bullets as many did back then. I just didn't want to spend the time or space in doing it. (plus I had enough friends doing it)

I've always kept myself busy / immerged into many "many" things could never stand "idle hands" as they say.... But casting just didn't interest me.

i use Hornady primarily on pistol loads and sometime Speer if they are on sale. but i still prefer the Hornady pistol bullets. i just really like their XTP line of bullets. those things are awesome.

i used mostly Sierra for rifle loads with some Hornady and some Speer bullets as well. i have been thinking about trying out the Barnes bullets for my rifle loads. they look pretty interesting and have heard lots of good about them.

Apex-Predator 10-12-2013 08:51 PM

I like XTPs too, never used them much on anything but paper but they sure do cycle and shoot really well in 9mm, 40 and 44 Magnum.
Barnes TTSX is a tricky bullet to get to work right, or maybe Sierra just has me spoiled. I worked up a load in my Swede and tried in my 308 and 30-06 they seem to be hyper sensitive to seating depth. If I need more penetration I'll stick to my Partitions, Deep Curls, or Accubonds they are MUCH easier to get them shooting good.