Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Failed .40 Winchester FMJ 180gr. Safety concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Failed .40 Winchester FMJ 180gr. Safety concerns

I cannot say I have done enough shooting to really have any misfires other than .22LR. I recently had one fail in my G22. I will have to take this to the range for a certification and just curious if there is a "proper" way to handle this situation or if there is much concern after the failure? I was able to reload the round and refire it fine but they always scare me I guess.

I modified my fire pin spring so I am probably to blame for some of this. Will probably want to try some different ammo before having to run my spring rate back up.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

is the 40 or 22 the one worrying ya??

22lr will all have problemsat some just due to the cheap nature of the ammo itself.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #3

What was the problem that you needed to mod the pin spring?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:04 AM   #4

The .40 cal is the one I am concerned with. I have yet to have a center fire cartridge fail so I think my fire pin might be an issue. i was most concerned dealing with that matter in a shooting range setting so I do not create a safety issue for other shooters Even though I know a round out of chamber surely will not take off at 1200fps.

The fire pin spring was lightened because on the glock, that partiallly dictates the trigger pull tension. I have never liked it on this gun so I spent several hours modding about 12 things in it to tailor it to my pref. I really like it right now but the pin spring might have to be returned to OE if I cannot get reliability from it.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

light strikes will cause a round to not go off. i would say reset the spring back and see if that fixes it.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:13 AM   #6

I don't think it's particularly a g22 thing, but most of the complaints about glock trigger pulls i have heard have been about the 22. Including mine. The first shot of each magazine is a killer.

I'm going to get mine set to 3 lbs. and forget it.

As far as ftf's on the range, just check with the range master before hand. FTF's and FTE's aren't uncommon at all. ( except for Glocks)

Last edited by Logan2302; 11-07-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post
The .40 cal is the one I am concerned with. I have yet to have a center fire cartridge fail so I think my fire pin might be an issue. i was most concerned dealing with that matter in a shooting range setting so I do not create a safety issue for other shooters Even though I know a round out of chamber surely will not take off at 1200fps.

The fire pin spring was lightened because on the glock, that partiallly dictates the trigger pull tension. I have never liked it on this gun so I spent several hours modding about 12 things in it to tailor it to my pref. I really like it right now but the pin spring might have to be returned to OE if I cannot get reliability from it.
Didn't we address this in another of your threads?

If you want 100% reliability from any striker fired pistol, keep a full power striker/firing pin spring in it.

If you want 100% reliability in any hammer fired pistol, keep a full power hammer spring in it.

The inertia of the firing pin strike is crucial. Manufacturers of pistols spend zillions of dollars engineering pistols so that they work. That is a clue.

For a fun gun on the range it may not matter, but for a SD gun it is a BIG deal.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #8

Thanks. Yes, I have another thread on this issue and was more or less trying to discuss the safety aspects of a failed round in this one. I have never dealt with that at the range and not sure how it is usually handled. I usually just reshoot them but was I gues wondering how you guys deal with it.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Any time a round is chambered more than once, you run the risk of pushing the bullet back into the case - which can cause a pressure increase. It's rare but it can happen. Changing things like spring rates can have a huge effect on reliability so you have to accept the risk of malfunctions...

Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post
Thanks. Yes, I have another thread on this issue and was more or less trying to discuss the safety aspects of a failed round in this one. I have never dealt with that at the range and not sure how it is usually handled. I usually just reshoot them but was I gues wondering how you guys deal with it.
Aha. I usually eject them and leave them there for a while. Usually they will go off if run through again, though I have had some of the Winchester USA 7.62x39 that are just duds.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."