Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Failed .40 Winchester FMJ 180gr. Safety concerns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/failed-40-winchester-fmj-180gr-safety-concerns-34047/)

fastline 11-06-2010 11:55 PM

Failed .40 Winchester FMJ 180gr. Safety concerns

I cannot say I have done enough shooting to really have any misfires other than .22LR. I recently had one fail in my G22. I will have to take this to the range for a certification and just curious if there is a "proper" way to handle this situation or if there is much concern after the failure? I was able to reload the round and refire it fine but they always scare me I guess.

I modified my fire pin spring so I am probably to blame for some of this. Will probably want to try some different ammo before having to run my spring rate back up.

JonM 11-07-2010 01:36 AM

is the 40 or 22 the one worrying ya??

22lr will all have problemsat some just due to the cheap nature of the ammo itself.

Logan2302 11-07-2010 01:18 AM

What was the problem that you needed to mod the pin spring?

fastline 11-07-2010 03:04 AM

The .40 cal is the one I am concerned with. I have yet to have a center fire cartridge fail so I think my fire pin might be an issue. i was most concerned dealing with that matter in a shooting range setting so I do not create a safety issue for other shooters Even though I know a round out of chamber surely will not take off at 1200fps.

The fire pin spring was lightened because on the glock, that partiallly dictates the trigger pull tension. I have never liked it on this gun so I spent several hours modding about 12 things in it to tailor it to my pref. I really like it right now but the pin spring might have to be returned to OE if I cannot get reliability from it.

JonM 11-07-2010 03:52 AM

light strikes will cause a round to not go off. i would say reset the spring back and see if that fixes it.

Logan2302 11-07-2010 04:13 AM

I don't think it's particularly a g22 thing, but most of the complaints about glock trigger pulls i have heard have been about the 22. Including mine. The first shot of each magazine is a killer.

I'm going to get mine set to 3 lbs. and forget it.

As far as ftf's on the range, just check with the range master before hand. FTF's and FTE's aren't uncommon at all. ( except for Glocks)

M14sRock 11-07-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastline (Post 381878)
The .40 cal is the one I am concerned with. I have yet to have a center fire cartridge fail so I think my fire pin might be an issue. i was most concerned dealing with that matter in a shooting range setting so I do not create a safety issue for other shooters Even though I know a round out of chamber surely will not take off at 1200fps.

The fire pin spring was lightened because on the glock, that partiallly dictates the trigger pull tension. I have never liked it on this gun so I spent several hours modding about 12 things in it to tailor it to my pref. I really like it right now but the pin spring might have to be returned to OE if I cannot get reliability from it.

Didn't we address this in another of your threads?

If you want 100% reliability from any striker fired pistol, keep a full power striker/firing pin spring in it.

If you want 100% reliability in any hammer fired pistol, keep a full power hammer spring in it.

The inertia of the firing pin strike is crucial. Manufacturers of pistols spend zillions of dollars engineering pistols so that they work. That is a clue.

For a fun gun on the range it may not matter, but for a SD gun it is a BIG deal.

fastline 11-07-2010 10:35 PM

Thanks. Yes, I have another thread on this issue and was more or less trying to discuss the safety aspects of a failed round in this one. I have never dealt with that at the range and not sure how it is usually handled. I usually just reshoot them but was I gues wondering how you guys deal with it.

NGIB 11-07-2010 10:43 PM

Any time a round is chambered more than once, you run the risk of pushing the bullet back into the case - which can cause a pressure increase. It's rare but it can happen. Changing things like spring rates can have a huge effect on reliability so you have to accept the risk of malfunctions...

M14sRock 11-07-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastline (Post 382277)
Thanks. Yes, I have another thread on this issue and was more or less trying to discuss the safety aspects of a failed round in this one. I have never dealt with that at the range and not sure how it is usually handled. I usually just reshoot them but was I gues wondering how you guys deal with it.

Aha. I usually eject them and leave them there for a while. Usually they will go off if run through again, though I have had some of the Winchester USA 7.62x39 that are just duds.