Faceoff with a grizzly! - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Faceoff with a grizzly!

View Poll Results: Which cartridge would you trust your life with?
.30-06 10 29.41%
12 gauge 19 55.88%
.357 Magnum 0 0%
.44 Magnum 2 5.88%
.303 British 0 0%
7.62x51/.308 Winchester 2 5.88%
7.62x54r 0 0%
.45 ACP 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1913 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

My cartridge of choice would be a HP 56 ink cartridge, because then I wouldn’t be alone in the woods any more. I’d be in an office supply store in a large city.
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
"Tres verbo dictom"
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #52
Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I gotta say, this thread just warms my heart.

Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
My cartridge of choice would be a HP 56 ink cartridge, because then I wouldn’t be alone in the woods any more. I’d be in an office supply store in a large city.
I don't think they were talking about that kind of "bear".
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #53

a high velocity round is a short distance might be your enemy in the situation. you definitely want a big heavy slow moving round to create a big hole in short distance. let's sayyou miss and hit the shoulder, a shot with a high velocity round just gonna create a little hole that close to the muzzle. 45-70 government would be perfect for that short for a distance or the 357 long jacket.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #54
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
I got to go with the 12 ga. but not the slugs. I either want the buckshot and slugs, or some #4's. I think several pellets to the face and the bear would be turning the other way. Lets hope I wont have to find out though, all Ill have with me this fall is my 270wsm.
I could see the #4s being a reasonable choice IF it were actually #4Buck. NOT #4 bird shot.

Personally, my choice among the listed options would be the 12 gage as well. I would go with a solid slug, not a hollow base like so many that are available for hunting deer with. With a slug of that diameter, you need more penetration than expansion. Cast your own slugs out of wheelweights and have a couple percent by content of zinc in there to really harden it up and you should have great penetration and very little expansion. Put it in decent wad and it will never make contact with your barrel, so leading won't be an issue (not that it would be in this kind of a situation).

At short distances, I would also want a short barrel for handling. If the bear gets on top of you (or even very close), a long barrel is going to be very detrimental.

And, FWIW, a .270WSM loaded with proper ammo should still be able to put down a big grizz. After all, how many grizz have been killed by the lowly .30-30 and the shooter lived to tell about it? Would it be my top choice of weapon? No, but it is better than being dinner.