Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Faceoff with a grizzly!

View Poll Results: Which cartridge would you trust your life with?
.30-06 10 29.41%
12 gauge 19 55.88%
.357 Magnum 0 0%
.44 Magnum 2 5.88%
.303 British 0 0%
7.62x51/.308 Winchester 2 5.88%
7.62x54r 0 0%
.45 ACP 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

And the word is "precedent"- as it that which precedes, or went before.

GAD! My 10th grade English teacher would be STUNNED! STUNNED, I tell you!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #22
TOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

If we are going to nit pick, did you really mean to use "it"?

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Last edited by TOF; 06-16-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

my teacher would be a mazed i spelled it right

Old 06-16-2010, 03:36 AM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Another vote for the 45/70. If not that, the 12 ga with Brenneke slugs. Realistically, if I were moose hunting I'd have my .338 (no regrets there) if doing something else my .44. Yes I'd rather have a .475 Linebaugh but just haven't come up with the spare $1500 yet.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 AM   #25

I got to go with the 12 ga. but not the slugs. I either want the buckshot and slugs, or some #4's. I think several pellets to the face and the bear would be turning the other way. Lets hope I wont have to find out though, all Ill have with me this fall is my 270wsm.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 AM   #26
TOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
I got to go with the 12 ga. but not the slugs. I either want the buckshot and slugs, or some #4's. I think several pellets to the face and the bear would be turning the other way. Lets hope I wont have to find out though, all Ill have with me this fall is my 270wsm.
If I am going to draw the blood of a grizzly it will be with the intent to kill decisively. Wound one and let it slip off in the brush then look out because you will most likely be hunted by a very skilled critter.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:16 AM   #27

I have always been told "if you kill a grizzly, you better be bloody" thats what the guide told me in wyoming, his "bear spray" was a winchester 1300 camp defender with #4. personally, i think a bear might not want to revisit the guy that put out an eye, maybe both, and made his face feel like it had been in a bee hive for 5 minutes

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 06-16-2010, 04:38 AM   #28
TOF

Quote:
I have always been told "if you kill a grizzly, you better be bloody" thats what the guide told me in wyoming, his "bear spray" was a winchester 1300 camp defender with #4. personally, i think a bear might not want to revisit the guy that put out an eye, maybe both, and made his face feel like it had been in a bee hive for 5 minutes
The game warden that had to find and dispatch a wounded bear before it killed a number of innocent's or the game warden himself would most likely disagree with your approach. Of course you would probably be dead by then.

You may not be aware of the fact that bears are quite tolerant of bee stings and will devour large quantities of them along with wax and honey. If you ever use bird shot whatever size on one you would be wise to use it well above it's head as a scare tactic then follow up very rapidly with something a bit more robust if it didn't wimp out.

I prefer visible Bear Blood over my own being visible.

Good luck if you ever leave the big city.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:04 AM   #29

im far from a city, and i agree, i would rather see bear blood than my own, if it were to come down to i die or the bear, it would be the bear. I gave an answer based on what I have seen a guide of 40yrs choose. Like I said, when I go back this fall all I will have is my 270wsm.

on another note why do you get so pi$$y when someone dont agree with you?

Old 06-16-2010, 05:22 AM   #30
TOF

Quote:
im far from a city, and i agree, i would rather see bear blood than my own, if it were to come down to i die or the bear, it would be the bear. I gave an answer based on what I have seen a guide of 40yrs choose. Like I said, when I go back this fall all I will have is my 270wsm.

on another note why do you get so pi$$y when someone dont agree with you?
I guess I get pissy in this type discussion because I don't want someone with little experience in the back country to face a bear or similar with wrong information. I have been poking around in the mountains and desert for 55 plus years and have seen what can happen in the boonies. One item I know is that wounded animals do not always run off with their tail between their legs.

Stay safe it's a lot more fun that way.