Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Faceoff with a grizzly!

View Poll Results: Which cartridge would you trust your life with?
.30-06 10 29.41%
12 gauge 19 55.88%
.357 Magnum 0 0%
.44 Magnum 2 5.88%
.303 British 0 0%
7.62x51/.308 Winchester 2 5.88%
7.62x54r 0 0%
.45 ACP 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I chose the 30-06 in a semiauto with a heavy tough bullet. In that instance you HAVE to break the bear's bone structure down or sever the spine. Simply shooting it, even in a vital area would still result in a mauling. Sure the bear would be dead-but nobody would be around to tell it that it was dead.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #12

I live in GRIZZ country and if i had a choice of guns that would just appear out of thin air it would be the 12 ga. But the 12 ga dose not leave the camp so im going to have to use what, i have on me. which depends on what im hunting with deer 7 mag elk 338 win mag grouse 22 long rifle Buckmark. I hope that he just bluffing. A hunter killed a 2 YEAR old grizz last year while packing out a deer, bear charged at fifty yards shot him twice killed the bear went to the game and fish reported it. was a rested went to court lost fined, 500 bucks plus court cost. He did not have pepper spray. The courts have just set a appurtenance. "gosh i hope this is the right word so robocop dosnt chew on me'' Any way you had better have teeth marks on you or at least have tried pepper spray be for you shoot. there is a new product out every hunter & back country user ought to have its called bear flare its under 50 bucks can light fires with it scare animals with it and the slag is safe and not start fires unless you hold it to the wood. If you have to kill an animal after deployment you done every thing you could and you will Win any court case.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
TOF

The Mod. 88 Winchester in .308 I have hunted with for the past 49 years will do the job for me.

I don't plan on waiting till a charging Bear is in pistol or shotgun range if I don't have to.

.308's are very effective at ten paces if the Bear is allowed to get that close.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 744

I'll go with the 12ga based upon my father's report. When he was flying the Arctic, he had plenty of opportunities to talk with bush pilots. Their weapon of choice was a 12ga loaded with birdshot first, then slugs. Birdshot to blind the bear and then slugs to bring it down.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #15

Liked 301 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 26

.12 guage with slugs. Pump or auto.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
I live in GRIZZ country and if i had a choice of guns that would just appear out of thin air it would be the 12 ga. But the 12 ga dose not leave the camp so im going to have to use what, i have on me. which depends on what im hunting with deer 7 mag elk 338 win mag grouse 22 long rifle Buckmark. I hope that he just bluffing. A hunter killed a 2 YEAR old grizz last year while packing out a deer, bear charged at fifty yards shot him twice killed the bear went to the game and fish reported it. was a rested went to court lost fined, 500 bucks plus court cost. He did not have pepper spray. The courts have just set a appurtenance. "gosh i hope this is the right word so robocop dosnt chew on me'' Any way you had better have teeth marks on you or at least have tried pepper spray be for you shoot. there is a new product out every hunter & back country user ought to have its called bear flare its under 50 bucks can light fires with it scare animals with it and the slag is safe and not start fires unless you hold it to the wood. If you have to kill an animal after deployment you done every thing you could and you will Win any court case.

I believe the word you were looking for is "precedent". And, while we are on the topic, it is "arrested". Just as in human encounters, it is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6...or eaten by one.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 06-16-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Shoot first, Field dress and skin, season with the pepper spray, cook over a signal fire.
String the claws into a cool necklace while you wait for the Fish and Game guys to bring the beer.
Bon Appetit!

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 06-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My Rem870 12 gauge - got the 8-round mag tube. Load with slugs. I can rack/bang pretty quick - eight one-ounce slugs of lead into the neck area - won't be much spinal column left by the time he plows into me....... Yeah, I know how fast those big bruins can run!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a S&W 460 XVR.

Can't I drop a grizzly with that and some Hornady's 200-gr FTX's or some HSM 300-gr? (I'm assuming that when its charging I don't sh&t myself and pass out).

Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #20
TOF

I don't want to HAVE to count on high capacity when facing a charging Grizzly or similar danger. If you haven't done a pretty good job by round 2 you may not get a chance for round 3.

For you guy's that selected pistols: Most rounds fired from pistols by LE personnel under pressure miss their target and their opponent is not out to eat them.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.