Exploding Bullets - Not Hairspray - Caused Bomb Scare at Miami Airport: TSA
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Exploding Bullets - Not Hairspray - Caused Bomb Scare at Miami Airport: TSA

Exploding Bullets - Not Hairspray - Caused Bomb Scare at Miami Airport: TSA | NBC Miami

A man has been arrested after FBI and TSA officials said his luggage contained volatile gun parts, which caused his bag to explode Tuesday just before it was about to be loaded on a plane.

The unidentified 37-year-old man had 500 to 700 bullet primers in his luggage. Primers are considered the "spark plugs" of a bullet and ignites the gun powder, projecting it toward the intended target.

Officials originally said the exploding bag was caused by a hairspray aerosol can.

The situation turned out to be much more serious and could have been even more dangerous if the bag containing the combustible elements would have exploded while the plane was in the air....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 9613 Times on 5735 Posts
Likes Given: 13289

I'm pretty new and unlearned but wouldn't something had to have hit a primer first? If one went off, would they all go off? Would the primer make that big of an explosion without it being attacked to a cartridge with gun powder in it?

Old 12-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7097 Times on 3771 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'm pretty new and unlearned but wouldn't something had to have hit a primer first? If one went off, would they all go off? Would the primer make that big of an explosion without it being attacked to a cartridge with gun powder in it?
static charge can set em off. primers are actually pretty tough and conditions have to be just right. it takes a lot of focused energy to set one off. they prolly came loose one lodged just in the right spot and kaboom. murphy is a real joker.

murphy is why its not kosher to carry such items on an aircraft and why they have to have hazmat labels when shipping.

but no one going off wouldnt mean they all go off especialy if they came out of the packaging. it was pretty stupid to do what he did and he deserves the prizes he has earned. i seriously doubt that they would have done any damage via explosion to the plane even taping the box of em to the fuel lines. the only danger would have been starting a fire. the explosive energy is pretty small.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 9613 Times on 5735 Posts
Likes Given: 13289

Thanks for the explanation.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Last time I looked I couldn't find any exploding bullets. I wanted some for ground hog hunting.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The newsy obviously knows NOTHING about firearms and ammo.......

But the passenger was a fool trying to sneak primers aboard. He'll pay dearly for that mistake.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

If you have ever seen the airline bagage handlers at work you would have no doubt but what they could make them go off.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

again BULLETS DO NOT EXPLODE.

BULLETS ARE MADE OF COPPER LEAD OR COPPER. There is no way any rough handling of a BULLET will make it go off.

A bullet has no forms of propellant or explosive to make it explode.

Again

Bullet.
Exploding Bullets - Not Hairspray - Caused Bomb Scare at Miami Airport: TSA - Ammunition & Reloading

Exploding Bullets - Not Hairspray - Caused Bomb Scare at Miami Airport: TSA - Ammunition & Reloading

Ammunition

Notice one thing in the above pictures. Ammunition has a primer and powder PROPELLANTS. A bullet is simply a slug of lead and copper of copper only.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Exploding bullets may be the most popular urban myth in the sport. I do this for a living. I have been asked and tons of LEO HDS guys have been asked if it can work. Usually what you find is someone shooting at Tannerite and the tannerite explodes. The smallest explosive projectile manufactured is far larger than and beyond fiscal practicality for personally owned firearms.

I can't see the video here at work. Does it explain what the conditions were? To make them all function he had to have packed them in order to facilitate propogation.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5741 Times on 3365 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The media doesn't seem very terminology-wise on the subject of firearms or ammunition. I saw one of those "most shocking" videos the other night of an armed robbery allegedly involving an assault rifle. Strange thing was, that assault rifle looked like a cut-down remington 870, and the dumped ammunition looked just like what i feed my Mossberg pump-12 shotty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
again BULLETS DO NOT EXPLODE.

BULLETS ARE MADE OF COPPER LEAD OR COPPER. There is no way any rough handling of a BULLET will make it go off.
What if you soaked it in some liquid nitrogen for a while and then flicked it into a hot fryer at MickeyD's?

Last edited by orangello; 01-06-2011 at 07:56 PM.