Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Electronic Powder Scales (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/electronic-powder-scales-36775/)

TXnorton 01-11-2011 11:37 AM

Electronic Powder Scales

I have been thinking about getting one, but when I read the purchasers' reviews on them on the Cabela's website I see a lot of complaints about accuracy, drifting zero and a few other problems.

I have been re-loading for 30+ years and I am still using the RCBS beam scale I got with my old single stage press.

If you have and use one, what manufacturer/model do you have? Would you recommend yours to others?

cpttango30 01-11-2011 12:07 PM

I have a PACT BBKII it was an accurate scale, as accurate as my Lyman 1010 (Same as RCBS 1010). The problem is a draft can set them off. Florescent lights are a NO NO, no phones, tv, radio as all of that stuff and interfere with the scale operations.

They all have warranties but they don't warranty the one part that is the most critical part of them all the load cell. That is what tells the weight of what is in the pan. That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. We will warranty all but the most important part if that goes bad well your SOL and have to buy a new scale.

Ask me what my BBKII does now?

It is a separator that keeps the powder from the primers. The load cell went out after about 9 months. I was very careful with it storing in it's box never dropping it always treating it like a new born kitten. For me they are just not worth the cost and the headache I will stick to my beam scale and have just as accurate if not more accurate powder weights.

c3shooter 01-11-2011 12:48 PM

Pay a visit to your local Stop-N-Rob convenience store. Say hello to Habib. Buy one of the stoner pocket scales- they are right next to the rolling papers and pipe screens- runs anywhere from $10-$15. It works as well as the expensive ones, breaks just as soon as the expensive ones- but you only got $10 sunk in it. Mine weighs grains,grams, ounces, troy oz, pennyweights.

:p

Catfish 01-11-2011 06:20 PM

C3, I never thought that an electrictronic scales was worth the price, but for $ 10 to $ 15 I may pick up one. Thanks for the tip.

TXnorton 01-12-2011 10:32 AM

Well thanks to all who responded, I guess I really don't want (or need) an electronic scale after all! I have some Cabela's gift certficates I received for Christmas, so back to the catalog to see other stuff that I might want/need!

Montanacowboy 01-18-2011 02:31 AM

I have an RCBS electronic scale and haven't had any problems in the three years that I've had it. I still have and use my 5-10 RCBS balance scale. I have compared the two with powder and they come to within 1/10 gr. of each other. MC

spittinfire 01-18-2011 02:40 AM

I like my electronic scale but you don't need one. Tango is right, a draft with mess with them but then again a draft will mess with a beam scale too. The biggest thing for me is that it's faster....that's it. It's like a digital caliper, you don't need one but they are nice. Although, I learned on dials and I still like dials....go with what works for you.

dunerunner 01-18-2011 03:49 AM

I have a buddy who reloads in his unheated garage. He tells me the electronic scales drift with temperature. If your bench is in a climate controlled area, it should be OK.

spittinfire 01-18-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 424290)
I have a buddy who reloads in his unheated garage. He tells me the electronic scales drift with temperature. If your bench is in a climate controlled area, it should be OK.

I haven't noticed this. I loaded 300rds yesterday in an unheated space and I wanted to double check my charge so I pulled out the beam scale and it was spot on with my digital.

dunerunner 01-21-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 424376)
I haven't noticed this. I loaded 300rds yesterday in an unheated space and I wanted to double check my charge so I pulled out the beam scale and it was spot on with my digital.

I'm buessing he sets up "zero" cold and as the garage warms up during the day, his scale drifts up a couple of grains. Just going from what he has told me as I haven't been there to witness this myself. Maybe it is his Dillon powder measure?