Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Effectiveness of 7.62x39 on wild animals?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2556 Times on 1280 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
Um... let's say a brown bear that's unhappy because you interrupted him while he was taking a number 2

See that's exactly what I'm asking, I know it's not the ideal round, what I'm asking is would it work if that's all you had at the time.
As with any caliber, shot placement matters. Assuming one had the presence of mind to place their shot, yes. You might not even need the other 29 rounds if you're good.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I doubt l you will find any brown bears around Lumpkin or anywhere else in Georgia. I believe I'd chunk the sks and just take my M1A.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 View Post
I doubt l you will find any brown bears around Lumpkin or anywhere else in Georgia. I believe I'd chunk the sks and just take my M1A.
Yeh this ain't exactly bear country, so I'm not worried. It was just a random thought that popped in my head.

Wish I had a M1A *drools*

Old 06-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5248 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 330

eskimos police routinely dispatch polar bears with full auto fire from m16's. hardly a bear round but a volume of fire on target does wonders. the problem you face with an ak47 is keeping the damn thing from bouncing around and landing very fast accurate follow up shots.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 197

For self defense below the Mason-Dixon line the AK/SKS loaded with soft point ammo is more than sufficient. I would prefer the Winchester, Remington or Federal SP ammo over the import stuff. Seems to be a bit more care put into the making of the bullets locally resulting in more consistant terminal ballistics.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post

Ok let me put this in a different way.
Let's say you're out in the wild and THE ONLY GUN YOU HAVE is an AK and 30 rounds of ammo. You stumble upon a bear that doesn't look too happy. You empty the entire mag into the bear. Many of the rounds hit more vital areas while some don't. Will the bear drop, or is the 7.62x39 more like a bee sting to him?
In a word? Yes. 30 rounds of Commie Magik at the distance where the bear is that mad at me for the stated reason should do the trick. shot placement would be key, but a couple thru the lungs, 5 or 6 in the head region and the last of the mag down his throat as he bears down on me ( hee hee ) would get the job done.

And earn me an invite to 'Gello's for bar b que.

JD

Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #17

Default If in the woods...

Knowing what's out there, and you've stipulated bear, that may or may not be pissed-off, I'd leave the 7.62X39 home, and take my PTR MSG-91, a 7.62X51 w/20rds of Hornady 168gr BTHPs. Old bruin will be smart/lucky and leave me alone, or die, shot to doll rags... I can't, for now, go far, but if/when I do, I'll go "armed for bear..."

Glockcurmudgeon, out...

PS, my PTR 32KFR is extraordinarily accurate. HOWEVER, I'd rather have more horse power to take the bear down- with a 7.62X51 sniper round. Placement, placement, placement...

OH, and my Remington 870 Desert Recon II, w/Knoxx stocks, and Trijicon TX-30 optic, and 3" Brenneke slugs, would do- in a pinch...

"You can kill a free man, you can't enslave him." -Robert Anson Heinlein- American Patriot

Shot placement is king, yes. But penetration is queen, and a wide wound channel is the ace in the hole. -Cuda66

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molōn labe!)

Last edited by Glockcurmudgeon; 07-08-2011 at 03:35 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 07-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #18

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Shoot 29 and check results... if bear looks even more pissed off put barrel in mouth and fire 30th round... you can't out run a bear!

Problem solved.

Scubie

Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5248 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Shoot 29 and check results... if bear looks even more pissed off put barrel in mouth and fire 30th round... you can't out run a bear!

Problem solved.

Scubie
Wouldnt you burn your lips from a hot barrel??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...