Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Dont know were to start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dont know were to start

Hey all,

I am really wanting to get into reloading but I don't even know we're to start. I have an XD40 and I bought my wife a Bersa 380. An help would be great thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #2

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Use our resources:

Reloading 101, Great starting point.

New to Reloading? L@@k here.

Which Press is right for me? The Answer.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

First, in your heading you wrote "were to start" and in the body of your message you wrote "we're to start."
One thing we need for reloading is consistency. The word you wanted was "where."
First, when you ask a question of where to start reloading, there are two things to know right from the start:
a) almost all forums covering reloading have "stickies" at the top of the forum postings that cover all your questions
and
b) those on the forums are almost always convinced that every tool they have is "required"
Any of the kits will give you everything you need to start reloading. However, the best thing you can do is buy and read a couple of manuals--say, "ABCs of Reloading," "Lyman #49," and Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, Revised." The Lee volume is particularly good if you are buying Lee equipment or you simply want a compilation of a LOT of safe loads in one book.
Now, for straight-wall cases, like most pistol cases, you NEED a press, dies, some tool for powder charges, and some tool for priming. You can load the rest of your life with just the Lee dippers and the Lee manual for powder charges. You will only be loading, in almost all cases, light starting/target loads. You can load the rest of your life with no more than the Lee Auto Prime XR Hand Priming Tool or the Lee Ram Prime Priming Unit for single stage presses. You will never need to trim a case.
Beyond that, most people want to try various powders, powder charges, and bullets that are not fully covered with the limited data for the Lee dippers. At this point, you need a scale/balance to weight out the powder charges.
Then, since that is very slow (unless you buy an electronic powder dispenser), most will move to a powder measure. This rounds out all the equipment you will NEED. A 6" caliper and a 1" micrometer can be of use so you can record the COL that works best for each bullet you load for your gun(s) and to measure bullet diameter, but you can go your whole life without measuring these things--you may not get the most out of your loading, but you will still be loading safe.
For bottleneck cases, like most rifle cartridges, you will face the problem of case growth and neck thickening, which will require you to either discard cases prematurely or invest in cast trimmer and a neck turning tool of some sort. That is all you need for safe loading of bottleneck cases.
Just read the stickies and a reloading manual or two.
It isn't rocket science or brain surgery. It has been done for centuries and is amazingly safe--as long as you follow the instructions.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

When i first started reloading i spent 2 months reading anything i could find. Out of all the stuff i have the only thing i bought new was dies and scales. Everthing else i have bought at gun shows or shops. I have even been fortunate enough to have passed a yard sale and bought a complete setup for under a hundred.
When i started my bigest fear was hurting myself, my guns, or my wife. To this day i only load on single stage presses and i'm very specific on my whole process. I'm very proud to say i have never had a single issue on anything i have made. I trust my rounds complettly. I load for pistol, rifle and shotgun. You can figure out a system and put in place your own quailty comtrol. It's not as hard as it may seem. Good luck and have fun, happy shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk