Does Federal Champion always look dirty with imperfections? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Does Federal Champion always look dirty with imperfections?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Federal champion is the same as blazer brass. Thin brass casing and cheap plated bullets.

And I mean the same, not similar, because they are the same company.

If you check any box of ammo from Walmart, the model number or part number will begin with an W or WM. Walmart sets forth a price for its suppliers therefore suppliers must cut corners in the manufacturing process to meet that price.

So the box of WWB from your local dealer isn't the same as WWB from wallyworld.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Federal champion is the same as blazer brass. Thin brass casing and cheap plated bullets.

And I mean the same, not similar, because they are the same company.

If you check any box of ammo from Walmart, the model number or part number will begin with an W or WM. Walmart sets forth a price for its suppliers therefore suppliers must cut corners in the manufacturing process to meet that price.

I don't know if this is true or not (wouldn't surprise me) but I have no issues with their ammo or the brass. I've reloaded the brass numerous times with no issues and haven't found it to have any shorter life then any other brass I've used.
As for the ammo, I've never had a misfire and accuracy is fine in pistol or rifle. I got behind this year and ended up using this in my 30-06 for deer. I consistantly got groups within an inch at 100yards and killed 2 deer with it.
Is there better ammo out there? Absolutely, but there is nothing wrong with Federal Champion.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2735 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The brass is a little discolored. Certainly not corroded. Poor handling/storage can easily cause that. The black on the nose of 1 bullet is of no concern. As far as calling the ammo cheap because it uses a plated bullet? I can find no reference to Blazer ammo using plated bullets AND the top of the line Gold Dot is a plated bullet.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #14

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Robo, I've loaded enough plated to know it when I see it. They're plated.

I never said there was anything wrong with it, its just cheap. God knows I've run through a mess of it in the last few years

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #15

I guess I can't complain to much being I only paid a little over $12 a box. If I have no problem with them at the range I will gladly purchase them again. I can live with discolored brass when it's this cheap. Would I use this ammo for self defense. Most likely not. That's what my PDX1's are for. But if they are accurate, feed well and don't leave my XDM to dirty after 200 rounds then I will be going back to Wal-Mart for 6 more boxes every day until I clean them out.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #16

Just went to the range today and popped off 100 of these rounds. I had no problems with them at all. Plus I even thought they were more accurate than Winchester white box.

I am going back to Wal-Mart and getting 6 more boxes tomorrow. I can deal with my ammo not being super shiny if there that cheap and shoot just fine.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #17

Why not learn to reload.
I find it very relaxing and rewarding also. With some work, I now have loads for every one of my weapons that that gun likes and shoots better than factory loaded ammo, and I save money. It's a win, win.

Just be sure to buy qulity equipment. If you are going to be reloading mostly for handgun, get the basic Dillon 550, not the progressive, the basic model.
once you learn the finer points of reloading, you can buy what you need to turn it into a progressive and easily turn out upto 400 rounds an hour.
If you have found the right powder and load, you will have geat ammo for your pistol.

My Best, John K

Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:

I found that very interesting and believable. Yet i just checked a box of 9mm Federal champions i purchased from Wall Mart a week ago and the part number does not start with a W or a WM. Maybe i got lucky or do you think it is still "wall mart Brand"

I don't mind wall mart ammo cause i only use it for target practice, but i was just pondering on your post. I find this to be a fairly good discussion.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #19

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I would contact Federal directly. I have literally thousands of rounds of Federal champion 9 MM and NONE of them look like that. I'm betting they'll replace it without any questions. Bill T.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #20

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
This is not correct. The only difference between Federal Champion and American Eagle is the jackets are slightly thinner. They are not "plated", nor are the cases different than any other brass that is used by Federal. If you doubt this E-Mail them. I did and that was the information I received. This is exactly how misinformation gets spread on the Internet. Bill T.