Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Does anybody?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/does-anybody-74222/)

fupuk 10-13-2012 02:19 AM

Ive found myself buying ammo for firearms in calibers I dont even own because the ammo is onsale. Not a crazy amount but when i find .45 ammo on sale i will buy a box or two just to have on hand for when i get that caliber. Just wondering if others do the same thing? My wife thought it was a little wierd but she knows why im doing it. When i was at walmart they had 100 count winchester white box on sale for $28 and I bought two boxes. I thought it was a good price. Plus i just bought a press so the cases will be used more than once. Just have to get the die, bullets and the firearm of course.

KG7IL 10-13-2012 02:46 AM

I have ammo for guns I do not own (yet)

Shade 10-13-2012 02:49 AM

I don' buy it, but I have a bunch of brass and bullets that have been
accumulated over the years. Most of it .270 brass, and .277 bullets,
think Karma is telling me something.

cottontop 10-13-2012 04:03 PM

I don't buy ammo that way but I have been known to buy reloading dies I do not have guns for.
cottontop

nitestalker 10-13-2012 05:16 PM

My advise is learn to cast your own bullets. Those of us who have lived thru a few wars can tell you this. Bullets dry up pronto during wars and copper and brass prices go way up. Learn how to make bullet jackets from scrap copper or other types of brass. The .40 Caliber pistol brass can be used to make .44 caliber jacketed bullets for example. The .22 rimfire brass and lead cores make all the .224 bullets you need for your ARs.:)

fupuk 10-13-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker
My advise is learn to cast your own bullets. Those of us who have lived thru a few wars can tell you this. Bullets dry up pronto during wars and copper and brass prices go way up. Learn how to make bullet jackets from scrap copper or other types of brass. The .40 Caliber pistol brass can be used to make .44 caliber jacketed bullets for example. The .22 rimfire brass and lead cores make all the .224 bullets you need for your ARs.:)

I actually just bought a lee melting pot last week, just trying to read a few books on it to figure out everything i need to do. Reloading and casting my own rounds is very new to me. I bought my press and everything i need a few weeks ago but the only thing ive pulled out of the box is the reloading manual. Ive also bought the ABC's of reloading and have been reading that also. I dont want to just "jump in" and figure it out myself, no one i know reloads so everything i learn is either reading or the internet. I bought the melting pot off of craigslist for $40 and it came with 20lbs of lead. So ive been trying to buy scrap lead and wheel weights just to have if i need them.

nitestalker 10-14-2012 01:38 AM

Good for you. Once you start casting you will add to your knowledge. Get a Lyman Book on Casting it is easy to get started. Buy one set of molds and start making bullets. You will need some WW lead and flux [saw dust or wax, candles etc] then get the molds hot. If you have a question PM me.:)

MOshooter 10-14-2012 06:17 AM

Not loaded ammo
I have purchased quite a bit of loading material and components at estate sales and auctions,I went to one auction no one wanted brand new unopened 243 bullets?? After buying nearly a lifetime supply of 243 bullets,I just had to find a 6mm Remington to use those bullets :)

KG7IL 10-14-2012 02:13 PM

I would say that purchasing accessories for an item not owned,is a sign of:
1) :confused: Knowing some bargains are just too good to pass up.
2) :) Planning for the future
3) :eek: A compulsion for which ther is not cure
4) :Dall of the above.

I really like to think that my purchases fall into catagory 2.

Axxe55 10-14-2012 02:19 PM

i have ordered or bought ammo or accessories for firearms i have ordered but not recieved yet. i just don't have the room for stuff that i would buy for firearms i want to buy in the future!:eek: