Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Do you think copper bullets should completely replace lead bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

OMG lead bullets account of ZERO deaths of animals EATING them. Last time I looked no animals like to eat bullets. That is unless your shooting them in the face.

1. all copper has to be longer per weight causing different twist rates to be used. Twist rate does not go on weight but on length.

2. Barns sells 500 smith 50 cal bullets in copper because you don't carry a 500 smith for CCW (Are you stupid or just like acting that way?) these bullets are made for hunting.

3. The California Ban is baised on no science no fact they just did it as a feel good measure.

4. If you want a non toxic metal that is comperable to lead then use something like the no toxic shotgun shells use Tungsten, Iron, Nickel.

5. Prove to me that one single poor ugly ass condor was harmed by a coyote or squirrel shot with a lead bullet.

Lead is more dangerous than other metals. But if you take precautions and wash your hands before eating or anytime you have handled lead you should be ok. Just don't go pullin your wanker after reloading or while reloading and you will be OK......

Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

cpt, we agree. In essence anyway. But, fact is, a FEW condors have been found dead from lead poisioning, presumably from eating carrion with bits of lead in it. And, it is well documented that some ducks have also died from ingesting lead pellets in the mud of shallows where they we feeding. So, it's "real" enough but the real incidence rate is so low as to make the whole thing laughable if the greenie Chicken Little wackos didn't have so much political impact. Proof that a little knowledge is a danerous thing if it's not tempered with a bit of common sense.

Another fact is, critters die. From a lot of things. Those birds, of what ever type, who die due to lead could just as well have any of a few dozen other maladies that do 'em in and be just as dead. THE reason the greenies target lead pellets is to target US, the sportsmen who have actually paid the price to restore the game populations the weines now - suddenly, and at no cost to themselves of course - wish to "protect" from mean ol' hunters. All while the vast majority of them enjoy unhealty portions of beef, pork, foul, fish several times a week! Meaining, it ain't killing animals they care about, it's us killing the little cartoon animals they learned to love on Saturday mornings!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I bet if you looked at the range of the birds that dies of lead posining you would find a large military base in that range. Heck Fort Irwin, and china lake are right next to each other and there is a LOT of LEAD spewed in to the hill side along with plenty of other toxic chemicals by the way.

Sorry I don't for one minute believe that the condors are dropping like flies enough to warrant banning all lead based ammo.

Then again if your bleeding heart wants to save a bird that really doesn't do much but be fugly then go for it.

This is the same crap that killed logging in my home town. OH all the stupid city foke want to save the poor owl that for some reason only lives in old growth forest. Yeah whatever they were thriving better in new growth forest than old growth.

Someone needs to slap the piss right out of these tree huggin bunny lovers.

Here is what we should really do. All hunters stop hunting for 2 years stop hunting everything and see what happens. When all the bunny lovers start hitting deer every day they will soon call for more deer hunting.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"Yeah whatever (the owls) were thriving better in new growth forest than old growth."

Uh huh. And I read the owls are doing great nesting in old bill boards, other signs, etc., too.

Lord, save us all from brainless loony greenies with an agenda!!

Last edited by 1hole; 10-13-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:16 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Does anyone else realize how toxic copper is? It is what they used to pressure treat wood with before it was outlawed,also painted on boat bottoms to control bottom growth. I work with copper everyday,I get very nasty infections where I get scratched with copper wire,nasty stuff you just dont hear much about it.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Do what we do and stop creeping me out with your lead aversion.

D-Lead Hand Soap: Reloading Components

D-Lead Esca Tech, Inc.

D-Lead Abrasive Hand Soap
You got that right. If it wasn't lead it would be something else. Let 'em worry about their own health and stay the hell out of other people's lives.

F. Prefect

Old 08-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinginn View Post
Does anyone else realize how toxic copper is? It is what they used to pressure treat wood with before it was outlawed,also painted on boat bottoms to control bottom growth. I work with copper everyday,I get very nasty infections where I get scratched with copper wire,nasty stuff you just dont hear much about it.
It's not the copper giving you an infection. It's the releasing agent or lubricant they use when extruding the wires, or possibly a another metal included in the copper alloy. High content copper is actually anti-microbial (which is why they used it to prevent growth on normally porous surfaces). The most common cause of copper poisoning is when someone ingests copper mixed with an acid like vinegar, even then, you have to ingest massive amounts on a regular basis to start seeing noticeable symptoms of copper toxicity.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

No. "Shall not be infringed."

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with the general notion that there isn't a big enough issue to worry about, and that copper is a much less effective bullet choice. Especially on rounds which are limited by COAL due to grip size (any auto pistol round), the longer bullet would eat into powder capacity.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

What is this copper bullet thing? I thought real boolits were made from lead/lead alloy?

Joshua 1:9