Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Do you measure your chambers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1151 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Default Do you measure your chambers?

For years I have reloaded and used the case overall length listed in the various manuals and with most guns have had good luck and decent groups.
Over the years I have tried different methods to crudely measure my chambers,but rarely went more than a .10" or two farther out than what the manuals said.
I bought a Hornady OAL gauge set and was really surprised when I measured the chambers on my Savage 25/06 and 300WM. I can go another .250-.300" on some loads and still stay off the lands .30-.40. I didn't think it would be that big a difference,but was I wrong.

This has got to be the easiest way to precisely measure the chamber of any rifle.I wish I would've bought this a long time ago.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm new to reloading, but why not just use a dial caliper?
I've measured the depth of a few of my chambers compared to my factory ammunition just to see if there was a difference but dont remember the result.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #3

I bought a Hornady OAL guage a few months ago. Got the equipment to measure .223 & .308. Between work & the weather I havent got to give my reloads a real good workout, but from what I have shot I'm happy with the results. My groups have tightend up some. I haven't ran any through the crono yet, but might get to later today or Sunday.

If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

Will Rogers

Last edited by kansas45; 04-04-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #4

Default tx hillbilly

i would be interested to see how this tool works can i have one for 7.62x39.and for the grand finally,what is the most excepted rule for the distance to keep obviously you dont want the bullet in the lands i ask out of ignorance not jest

Old 04-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

You can also have a smith do a cast of your chamber. That way you have a permanent reference piece to measure and look at. It will also tell you your throat length. Just a thought.

A true Gentleman always provides covering fire while his lady is reloading. It is only proper.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"