Do you load jhp under jacketed data?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Do you load jhp under jacketed data?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do you load jhp under jacketed data?

I have always loaded fmj's but recently came across a great deal on jhp I just wanted to be sure what data to load under jacketed or something else

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield View Post
I have always loaded fmj's but recently came across a great deal on jhp I just wanted to be sure what data to load under jacketed or something else
YES! JHP stands for JACKETED Hollow Points

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My reloading guide calls for different loads depending on bullet weight. I an a new reloader, and I may assume incorrectly; but I am guessing that bullet weight is the key. A 230 grain FMJ .45 APC loaded with the same grains of powder as a 230 grain JHP.

Is this right or way wrong logic?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #4

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Right!....

Old 10-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 3542 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
My reloading guide calls for different loads depending on bullet weight. I an a new reloader, and I may assume incorrectly; but I am guessing that bullet weight is the key. A 230 grain FMJ .45 APC loaded with the same grains of powder as a 230 grain JHP.

what can get ya in trouble is seating depth. hp ammo tends to have a longer length from base to ogive. some may seat deeper increasing pressure greatly. its always best to consult the bullet makers seating depth for the particular bullet your using. powder weights typical are the same.

just my practice when dealing with hp bullets. i use one of these http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-OAL-Gauge-Straight-1Each/ along with one of hornady's comparators. they also have a curved version for stuff like lever guns. taking a measurement off the ogive is more accurate than oal off the point
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 10-23-2011 at 12:54 AM.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3261 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 334

If you will load the ammo at or near max OAL, the pressures should remain manageable

Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Yes, weight is a major key from what i can figure. I guess i should start mic'ing my bullets length. There again i try to follow the specs in my manual to the letter concerning weight, powder charges (very seldom coming close to max powder charges) and OAL.

I typically use a bulk JHP bought at gun shows and not a specific manufacturer.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 3542 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Yes, weight is a major key from what i can figure. I guess i should start mic'ing my bullets length. There again i try to follow the specs in my manual to the letter concerning weight, powder charges (very seldom coming close to max powder charges) and OAL.

I typically use a bulk JHP bought at gun shows and not a specific manufacturer.
you can measure your bulk and flip through your manuals to find similar dimension bullets and use that load data. but staying well within published data for unknown but similar bullets will keep ya safe. long as your not shooting them out of a glock, they have a bad history of case ruptures due to unsupported chambers, most fullsize 45acp guns are pretty damn strong.

1911s can handle quite a bit with a fully supported case. the 460 rowland is just a slightly longer 45acp seated a little deeper and nearly double the powder charge...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent