Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Do you load jhp under jacketed data? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/do-you-load-jhp-under-jacketed-data-50353/)

springfield 10-22-2011 11:47 PM

Do you load jhp under jacketed data?
 
I have always loaded fmj's but recently came across a great deal on jhp I just wanted to be sure what data to load under jacketed or something else

fmj 10-22-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfield (Post 607833)
I have always loaded fmj's but recently came across a great deal on jhp I just wanted to be sure what data to load under jacketed or something else

YES! JHP stands for JACKETED Hollow Points

dunerunner 10-23-2011 12:09 AM

My reloading guide calls for different loads depending on bullet weight. I an a new reloader, and I may assume incorrectly; but I am guessing that bullet weight is the key. A 230 grain FMJ .45 APC loaded with the same grains of powder as a 230 grain JHP.

Is this right or way wrong logic?

lonyaeger 10-23-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 607862)
Is this right or way wrong logic?

Right!....

JonM 10-23-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 607862)
My reloading guide calls for different loads depending on bullet weight. I an a new reloader, and I may assume incorrectly; but I am guessing that bullet weight is the key. A 230 grain FMJ .45 APC loaded with the same grains of powder as a 230 grain JHP.

Is this right or way wrong logic?

what can get ya in trouble is seating depth. hp ammo tends to have a longer length from base to ogive. some may seat deeper increasing pressure greatly. its always best to consult the bullet makers seating depth for the particular bullet your using. powder weights typical are the same.

just my practice when dealing with hp bullets. i use one of these http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-OAL-Gauge-Straight-1Each/ along with one of hornady's comparators. they also have a curved version for stuff like lever guns. taking a measurement off the ogive is more accurate than oal off the point

robocop10mm 10-23-2011 06:11 AM

If you will load the ammo at or near max OAL, the pressures should remain manageable

fmj 10-23-2011 03:27 PM

Yes, weight is a major key from what i can figure. I guess i should start mic'ing my bullets length. There again i try to follow the specs in my manual to the letter concerning weight, powder charges (very seldom coming close to max powder charges) and OAL.

I typically use a bulk JHP bought at gun shows and not a specific manufacturer.

JonM 10-23-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 608333)
Yes, weight is a major key from what i can figure. I guess i should start mic'ing my bullets length. There again i try to follow the specs in my manual to the letter concerning weight, powder charges (very seldom coming close to max powder charges) and OAL.

I typically use a bulk JHP bought at gun shows and not a specific manufacturer.

you can measure your bulk and flip through your manuals to find similar dimension bullets and use that load data. but staying well within published data for unknown but similar bullets will keep ya safe. long as your not shooting them out of a glock, they have a bad history of case ruptures due to unsupported chambers, most fullsize 45acp guns are pretty damn strong.

1911s can handle quite a bit with a fully supported case. the 460 rowland is just a slightly longer 45acp seated a little deeper and nearly double the powder charge...


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.