Do you guys think the 9MM round is enough for Home and Self Defense????? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Do you guys think the 9MM round is enough for Home and Self Defense?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Wow.... .380 9mm and .40 aren't THAT close.

I mean close, but...shoot, a 380 is close to a nine and a nine is close to a .40 like a .40 is close to a .45 (acp)

I like .40 alot. I don't care for 9mm, but I have seen it stop plenty and I would not want to be on the receiving end of one. It suits a lot of people just fine.

People that get all up in arms about the .45 being the best round ever are just plain ignorant. We don't all shoot and carry a 1911. LikeThat should be the only pistol and round manufactured....

We have a vast array of firearms and calibers for a reason.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #22

I know all the things about 9mm vs 45. yes the big thing is new bullets. remember if the wizz bang bullet being used in 9mm works 100% you have a mushroom the size of the same wizz bang bullet in .45 before its fired with half the weight/force to drive it deep enough to make a fast stop. 9mm is a great killer so it a ball pein hammer hit to the temple. as for the military they operate on if you kill a man that;s one man out of action if you wound one man that's 3 or more out of action because of caring for him. read Mil. talk about the 5.56 wound tracks. The Army used a .45 to stop horses. and went to a .38 when it thought it was trying to kill men only.
It just so happens it stops/kills men very well. It stops men even better then it kills horses. and stopping a BG ASAP what we are wanting to do.

This well worth the long read that it is.

Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue

Comments by Deadmeat2 (and a few others) found on the SW Forum
Archived on Mouseguns.com July 13, 2006
Original Post is Here

http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal%20Ballistics%20as%20viewed%20in%20a%20mor gue.htm

One of the benefits of working in a morgue is that I get to see what works and what doesn't. Ballistic gelatin is good as far as it goes, but there's nothing like seeing what a bullet actually does once it strikes bone, flesh, and organs. Suffice it to say, it doesn't always mimic ballistic gelatin.

The other is that I get to hear some great CCW stories. Here's one of them: A recently-married couple living in one of the less desirable sections of Atlanta decided that for safety purposes they should get a handgun and learn how to shoot it. They bought a Glock 27 in .40, CCW permits, and made regular trips to an indoor range.

One evening, having just come back from the range, they cleaned and loaded the Glock and had left it on the coffee table in the living room, intending to put it up later. Shortly thereafter they heard a knock at the door and, expecting company, opened it without looking through the peephole.

A crazed male entered the apartment brandishing a handgun yelling, "Give it up, give it up!" The husband said that it was obvious the individual was high on drugs and there was absolutely no question in his mind that both he and his wife were going to die. Knowing this, he decided that his only option was to go down fighting.

The BG forced them both down a narrow hallway into the living room, screaming all the while. The husband was in the lead, followed by his wife, and then the BG, whose view of the living room was being blocked by the husband and wife.

The husband reached down, grabbed the Glock, pushed his wife aside, and fired one shot at the BG, striking him dead center in the middle of the chest. Although knocked to the floor, the BG still made a feeble attempt to retrieve his own gun. At this point, the husband let him hold another one to the chest. That ended that little problem.

Upon talking to the still-shaken husband, the police said he could remember little of what all the BG had said. As he recalled it, "All I can remember is that his first words were 'Give it up!" and his last words just as he saw the Glock were "Oh, (fill in the blank)!"

I see an average of 8.2 autopsies per day/365 days per year, and I can tell you that when the chips are down, there's nothing that beats a 12-gauge. As for handguns, the name of the game is not only shot placement but how a properly-placed bullet acts once it gets there. I've seen folks killed by a bb to the eye and others survive after being hit by several well-placed rounds with a 9mm. Read more at OP[/COLOR]

Last edited by lopper; 10-03-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

so lopper what are you trying to say? not everyone can or will carry a 45! so if a person is carrying a 9mm or God forbid, a 380, then they should just turn tail and run? i carry a 9mm, sometimes a 44mag. sometimes a 45acp. my wife carries a 380, sometimes a 9mm. when we carry for sd, we load the best type of jhp ammo available. sometimes you carry what you have, can afford or what the situation allows. not everyone can wrap their hands around a full sized frame 45, (my wife can't around my 1911 45acp) or even control a smaller framed 45. there are times when i carry my 9mm, i promise i load for stopping power and i practice on a regular basis. i don't feel less than able to defend myself whether i'm carrying the 9mm or my 44mag! in your first post on the matter, you stated the 9mm SUX, only good for punching paper. well i beg to differ. if i place 2-3 shots with my 9mm, centermass, and the BG keeps coming, then he will get shot again. if he can still move and advance after that, i'm not so sure a 45 or 44 would do much better. he is probably hopped up on some good drugs!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #24

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

My simple answer to the OP is no, 9mm is not sufficient for home defense, neither is .45 acp, .357 mag., .44 mag, or any other handgun. Home defense is a job for .12 ga. pump shotgun with an extended magazine and short barrel, loaded with 00B and preferably with a flashlight with a momentary contact switch mounted so that it can be operated by the off hand.

The only other nesessary accessory, in my opinion, is a dog, preferably a big dog, but necessarily a dog that barks at unsusual noises. Give me a few seconds to prepare, and I am quit confident I can handle a serious invasion, in my home, with the dog and gun. If that fails, I will turn my wife loose on them and Lord have mercy on their souls.

I have a safe full of handguns, but what lives by my my bed is the above firearm. It is simple to operate, even when waking from a deep sleep, it is fearfully deadly in the distances encountered in home defence.

As with any firearm, proficiency only comes with practice. A shotgun is not majic and requires skills to operate properly and, yes, you do have to aim it.

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 10-03-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
My simple answer to the OP is no, 9mm is not sufficient for home defense, neither is .45 acp, .357 mag., .44 mag, or any other handgun. Home defense is a job for .12 ga. pump shotgun with an extended magazine and short barrel, loaded with 00B and preferably with a flashlight with a momentary contact switch mounted so that it can be operated by the off hand.

The only other nesessary accessory, in my opinion, is a dog, preferably a big dog, but necessarily a dog that barks at unsusual noises. Give me a few seconds to prepare, and I am quit confident I can handle a serious invasion, in my home, with the dog and gun. If that fails, I will turn my wife loose on them and Lord have mercy on their souls.

I have a safe full of handguns, but what lives by my my bed is the above firearm. It is simple to operate, even when waking from a deep sleep, it is fearfully deadly in the distances encountered in home defence.

As with any firearm, proficiency only comes with practice. A shotgun is not majic and requires skills to operate properly and, yes, you do have to aim it.
i have to disagree with you on this, because not everyone lives where a shotgun and, or a dog would be feasable. so yes if a 9mm is loaded with the proper ammo, it is a good sd round.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Woody View Post
Wow.... .380 9mm and .40 aren't THAT close.

I mean close, but...shoot, a 380 is close to a nine and a nine is close to a .40 like a .40 is close to a .45 (acp)

I like .40 alot. I don't care for 9mm, but I have seen it stop plenty and I would not want to be on the receiving end of one. It suits a lot of people just fine.

People that get all up in arms about the .45 being the best round ever are just plain ignorant. We don't all shoot and carry a 1911. LikeThat should be the only pistol and round manufactured....

We have a vast array of firearms and calibers for a reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
That's definitely a new one :O .
Read the entirity of my post dont just cherry pick a quote out of context
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #27

Default 9mm

I use the same pistol for home defense that I use for a carry gun, a Glock 19 loaded with 124 gr Speer GDHP +P rounds. I have no problem with the 9mm. I also fully understand that the 9mm isn't nearly as good a one shot stopper as the 45, 10mm, or 357. Thing is, much like punching someone, I have no intentions of hitting someone once and hoping it works.

I do agree with some previous posters about using longarms for home defense. My Glock's purpose is, to paraphrase Clint Smith, to allow me to fight my way to the rifle I never should have left in the corner of the room. A shotgun or, in my case, an M4gery is far superior to any pistol for taking the wind out of a potential attacker's sails. Or lungs. Whatever.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawaygun762 View Post
I use the same pistol for home defense that I use for a carry gun, a Glock 19 loaded with 124 gr Speer GDHP +P rounds. I have no problem with the 9mm. I also fully understand that the 9mm isn't nearly as good a one shot stopper as the 45, 10mm, or 357. Thing is, much like punching someone, I have no intentions of hitting someone once and hoping it works.

I do agree with some previous posters about using longarms for home defense. My Glock's purpose is, to paraphrase Clint Smith, to allow me to fight my way to the rifle I never should have left in the corner of the room. A shotgun or, in my case, an M4gery is far superior to any pistol for taking the wind out of a potential attacker's sails. Or lungs. Whatever.
i will repeat what i said before, not everyone will have a shotgun maybe due to where they live or not wanting several firearms, but may have a pistol. if that pistol is in a smaller caliber, find the best ammo for it and practice with it on a regular basis. 2-3 well placed shots from a smaller caliber are better than misses from a larger one.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #29

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i will repeat what i said before, not everyone will have a shotgun maybe due to where they live or not wanting several firearms, but may have a pistol. if that pistol is in a smaller caliber, find the best ammo for it and practice with it on a regular basis. 2-3 well placed shots from a smaller caliber are better than misses from a larger one.
If I am going to miss, it is going to be with a big caliber. Two weeks ago, law enforcement in my county tazed a man twice, then shot him in the chest with a 9mm. The news film showed the guy getting into the ambulance on his own two feet!!! Not to say that a 9mm is not dangerous, a .22 caliber is as dangerous as hell. (If you don't believe that, research the death of Bobby Kennedy)

The whole point is, if you are tooling up for self defence, use the weapons and the ammo the pros use. You are buying a tool you are going to bet your life on. It is no more difficult to shoot a .45 than a .22 in a dark house, under pressure. Why buy a less effective caliber, when you can buy a more effective caliber?

But, back to the shotgun, which is without a doubt the best possible home defence weapon.

Where in the world could you live that would make a 9mm a more desirable, or more effective home defence weapon than a shotgun? The closer the quarters that you live in (apartments or condos) the better for the shotgun.

Make a bad shot in a dark apartment with a 9mm and you might shoot the neighbors kid three apartments away. The shotgun pellets tend to slow very quickly through fire-walls, you might still wing the kid next door, but not three doors down.

Now I know that nobody here ever miss their targets, but we are talking hypotheticals. By the way,I have seen Todd Jarrett, miss a target, in the daytime, and nobody was shooting at him!

If your weapon restrictions, based on where you live, involve "regulations",
a shotgun is legal in a lot of places pistols are outlawed. Everyone knows, a shotgun is a kind and gentle weapon that everybody's grandad owns. A pistol is a mean weapon only used by gangsters and other gun nuts.

Carl Sagan

Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #30

chainfire, you are basing your decision on what you have and your present situation in reference to others. do you think everyone is going to have an arsenal at their disposal to ward off the bad guys? no! i keep a shotgun in our bedroom for sd, and still have a pistol in the nightstand. are you going to walk around with a 12ga shotgun or carry a 9mm? i'll carry my 9mm! not everyone can control a larger calliber small compact pistol. the original question was is a 9mm enough? yes it is if loaded with the proper ammo for the job required. are there better calibers than the 9mm for sd? yes. do i agree that a shotgun is a better hd/sd weapon? yes. but sometimes you have to use and rely upon what you have. so if i was down to just my 9mm, loaded with the 124gr JHP ammo, i don't have a doubt that they won't get the job done. i do practice on a regular basis. any weapon you decide to use for sd, you need to practice with an a regular basis. even a 12ga shotgun is useless unless you can hit your target. i'll stand my reasoning, a hit with a 9mm is still better than a miss with a 44mag.