Do you guys think the 9MM round is enough for Home and Self Defense????? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Do you guys think the 9MM round is enough for Home and Self Defense?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6191 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 448

it will do the job but its not, in my opinion, one of the better rounds. i do trust it enough to let my wife use the 9mm for SD as she shoots it well and can shoot it enough for extended range sessions to get worthwhile training.

i would rather the wife use a 45acp but she can only fire 30-40 rounds before she gets tired. while she can handle it for self defense she doesnt get enough time shooting it so opted for 9mm.

i personally rank 9mm 40sw 380acp in about the same boat adequate but better is out there. when you get to 357magnum levels a 38cal bullet starts to become very effective. under that, 45 caliber is what i prefer.

it really boils down to what you shoot well. if you put a piece of lead in the boiler room of a goblin it will do the job.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default Do you guys think the 9MM round is enough for Home and Self Defense?????

Yup...and you feel confidant that it is as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #13

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Not much I can add to what others have said but to say that every caliber is lethal. Obviously larger calibers make bigger holes and can get the job done quicker but a well placed 9mm double tap is going to stop damn near every threat. Key, as always, is shot placement. Afterall, the goal is incapacitation of the bad guy not "one shot one kill."

I guess what I mean is that there is nothing to show that the 9mm is an inherently bad caliber it all boils down to personal choice. If you are uncomfortable with it then by all means upsize to a bigger round.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The bullets in a 9mm are alittle on the LIGHT SIDE but if you aim is TRUE then it's ok if not I would get a 12 gauge with #6 or so.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OP,
The 9 will serve you well with a quality 115 or 124 grain JHP +P. My HD gun is a 1911 but only because I was familiar with the 1911 from the Army. If I had it to do over I'd probably get a Glock 17 if I lived in a free state without mag restrictions.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i personally rank 9mm 40sw 380acp in about the same boat
That's definitely a new one :O .

Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #17

The 9mm is a good SD round considering the high quality of today's ammo. It still comes down to the shooter's ability to control the firearm and shot placement.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

shoot what you are comfortable with. the 9mm is a good round, if you are using the proper ammo for the task at hand. fmj are good for target shooting and practice. key word here is, practice. it really doesn't matter what type or size of gun or ammo choice you make if you can't hit where you aim. if you are more capable with the 9mm and can hit accurately, then that is what would be best. if a larger caliber works for you, then use it. but whatever choice you make, practice with it, and practice with it on a regular basis. i have a 9mm handgun and i like it, but i do prefer larger calibers and that is a personal preference. yes i can hit what i aim at with the 9mm and can hit what i aim with the larger ones also, but i do a lot of shooting.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
IMO it SUX For other then putting holes in paper
try shooting some car doors and quarter panels with 124gr hp ammo! if it will go through them, it will go through a bad guy with no problem.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #20

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

The 9mm is a good round for self defense. When I carry my Glock (when I'm not carrying my 1911) I use Buffalo Bore Ammuntion's 147 grn +p+ hp. 1100 fps and 451 ft lbs muzzle energy. They're accurate as all get out and pick a pretty good punch. $25 @ midway. Wicked round.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy