Do you guys think the 9MM round is enough for Home and Self Defense?????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Do you guys think the 9MM round is enough for Home and Self Defense?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Do you guys think the 9MM round is enough for Home and Self Defense?????

I know this has probably been asked before but i was just wondering i mean i have quite a few 9'S. I do keep a .44Magnum S&W for Home defense and i usually carry a Glock 20 10mm for my Carry weapon.

But i keep seeing these ads online you guys have probably seen them especially on youtube advertisments for example one says. The 9mm won't protect you learn from the professionals or something like that. Then are these people that truly believe the 9mm is like a BB gun these people must be idiots. I mean i know 9mm is considered the small caliber but it can kill. Today's ammo is even more evidence that the 9mm Can take down the biggest most adrenaline crazed bad guy. I mean with today's +P Hollow Points yeah the 9mm can not be down talked anymore in this day and age. The Key is to have a mid weight Hollow point round like 124gr. For Faster Travel and Penetration from what gunsmiths have said The military uses it only they only use FMJ not HP that is why they don't like the 9mm Caliber.

I know alot of you carry a 9mm everyday for your Open or Concealed carry Weapon and you feel confident. You could take down a 500 pound badguy someone High on cocaine,PCP or Adrenalin with a 9 especially if it is a HP +P round?????

What do you guys have to say about the 9mm round for being a Primary Carry or Home Defense Caliber?????

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Personally my "go to" for home defense is a tactical shotgun, with my backup being a 40S&W. But a 9 will most definitely get the job done, especially with hollow point personal defense rounds. If your intruder is not down after 1 round to the center torso, well I'm sure you have plenty more rounds in the clip

Old 10-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

20% of the anecdotes you hear about 9mm failures are with military FMJs. 5% of the anecdontes are about bullets from the 80s. The other 75% is simply due to poor shot placement, which applies to any service caliber.

I have no qualms about using a 9mm over other service-caliber handguns for SD.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm one of those guys who think that a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44 mag, but the only reason I would carry a 9mm would be as a back-up to a larger caliber pistol, preferably a .45 acp. My reasoning behind that is the fact that the only benefit to carrying a 9mm I can see is magazine capacity, I've shoy plenty of 9mm and .45s, and for me there is very little difference in recoil and accuracy through most of the pistols I've shot. Now, by no means am I the type that thinks carrying a big gun makes me a big man, I just prefer a larger caliber that hits a little harder, because.... while a 9mm may expand, a .45 never shrinks! And heck, ain't no one ever accused the .45 of being to small! So I guess you could say I'm just taking the safe route.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Do I think it's enough? Yes I do with a good round like an HST, Gold Dot or similar. I would also stay with the heavier bullets, in 9mm I like 147gr although 124 isn't bad.

Having said that, is it my HD pistol round of choice? No, it's not. My go to pistol round is 45 ACP 230gr+p followed by a 357 Magnum.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2223 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I think we need a sticky that just simply states

There's nothing wrong with a 9mm.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Haha!

Oh, I forgot to add IB4P5 (In Before Page 5)!!!

If it's worth shooting once, its worth shooting a few more times :P .

Old 10-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Personally, I think the 9mm is a very good round. Just like all others it does have its ups and downs but i believe the majority of it has to due with shot placement. I always remember the one liner in some one's signature on this board that states, A hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a 44 mag. (or something along those lines, but hey you get the idea. )

Old 10-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #9

IMO it SUX For other then putting holes in paper

Old 10-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
IMO it SUX For other then putting holes in paper
It's actually worse for putting holes in paper, since the holes are hardest to see. I like shooting .44 wadcutters in paper. They make nice, crisp holes that can easily be seen at even 25 yards. Doesn't mean .44 wadcutters are better for defense, though.

:P