Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Do you consider cost per round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #21
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1151 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 555

I started reloading shotgun shells in the mid/late 70's as a teenager after an older shooter got me interested in reloading.Back then,Cost per round never entered my mind.It was just something fun to do.
When I started loading Centerfire cartridges in the 80's,it was basically a need to save money and have plenty of ammo to shoot all of the time.

Today,It isn't that much about saving money on reloading,as it is making the most accurate shooting ammo for any of the calibers that I shoot.It also allows me to be able to stockpile ammo at a very good price.

Saving money by reloading is always a plus,and if you buy stuff in bulk it really adds up if you start crunching numbers.I always try to buy my powder in 8lb containers,and buy bulk boxes of bullets instead of 100ct at a time.Whenever you can get more for less,the savings is already on your side.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #22

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think all of us in here try to get the best results with our reloading for the best price. I just think the guy I mentioned is being a bit weird with his penny pinching. He will shoot his loads and I will shoot mine.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf
I think all of us in here try to get the best results with our reloading for the best price. I just think the guy I mentioned is being a bit weird with his penny pinching. He will shoot his loads and I will shoot mine.
If he's that cheap he'd probably "borrow" yours to just to "test it out" for a few hundred rounds lol!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #24

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Do you consider cost per round?
Yes that is why I DON"T reload
Let me explain, I do a little shooting with my ARs, AKs & other rifles, but when it comes down to heavy plinking I use my AK74s. Because with these guns I can buy ammo in bulk as low as .10 cents per round for full power ammo.
How many of you can reload at today's prices for only .10 cents per round without cutting corners somewhere.
I also have a AR upper in 5.45x39 & I have other shooters shaking there heads when I do mag dumps time after time, I even had one guy ask how in the world I could afford to waste ammo like that? (seeing the AR, thinking it was .223) I had to show him what I was shooting, he told me he was going out to buy one of those uppers, but not just for the cheap ammo, he also likes the way sparks fly when he hits the steel gongs with the steel core ammo.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledbetter84 View Post
If he's that cheap he'd probably "borrow" yours to just to "test it out" for a few hundred rounds lol!
Well, him and another guy did not have a problem shooting some of my ammo. That's okay, because I was willing to share. I won't shoot any of this guy's ammo because I don't like the way he loads it.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #26

I was fortunate enough to get some of the good surplus ammo for 7.52x51/.308 while it was out there at affordable prices. I still have some of the Australian, Portuguese and South African ammo. I have been saving it and shooting my loads or the Winchester white box stuff in my M1A.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #27

Default save money not my primary concern.

Different people have different objectives, obviously. To me, if I could achieve my objectives with 25 cents, I tried not to spend one penny more than that. But achieving my objective remains my number one concern, which is hitting the target with the needed firepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I have been reloading for about 30 years now. I have been able to save money also, but that is not my primary concern.

What about the rest of you? Do you load your own ammo to save money or to develop ammo that will work great in your guns, or both? Do you place much emphasis on "cost per round"?