Do you consider cost per round? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Do you consider cost per round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I consider cost per round anytime I'm shopping for ammo. I also base powder choice on charge weight for a desired load. If two powders have a 20% difference in charge weight for a given velocity, I use the one requiring the smaller charge weight, presuming similar cost per pound of powder. That equates to a free powder charge on every 5th round loaded.

Yes, I am that effen cheap....

I shop for retail prices around $.30 for .223 practice ammo in a brass case.
I am reloading .45 acp for about $.25, last I checked.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 690

I always consider cost but not to the extreme. I can load 357 mag using good components for 1/2 the cost of factory which means I can shoot twice as much for the same money. I cant load 223 for much less than the cheap ammo but a lot less then the expensive ammo again using good components like Blitzking bullets. I use the cheap ammo as a source of brass. I wont turn down a good price on good bullets.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I was a Kid my dad taught me and I think the main reason then was it was cheaper because the small town we lived in did not have a gun store to get ammo and the walmart of the day was sears and roebucks and that took weeks so it was cheaper to load up on components by mail and the occasional drive to Phoenix lol . In my late teens clear to my thirty's I shot practical pistol , cowboy action and high power so it was for accuracy and to save money as I shot so much and cast bullets are cheaper than jacketed lol . Now it is for fun because I enjoy doing it and I can load bullets for every thing I shoot way more accurate than I can buy it and if I dont tack on my time to load them I would say it is cheaper . I can fire form the casings for my rifle , seat the bullet so that it is just one thousands of an inch from the bore of my rifle , I can spend the time weighing every charge to work up just the right load for my choice of bullet and at this point this ammo is custom made for my rifle and might not even chamber in another . To me that is priceless because it would cost way more than I would to pay to have ammo custom made for the chamber of one rifle lol .

Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #14

Liked 2030 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

I do check to see what my cost per round is. But not to the extreme. I pour my own lead. But for me it is a hobby/pasttime. I enjoy shooting what I made. It has become almost an addiction. I pick up brass that I don't even shoot. Then I end up buying another gun because I have a bunch of brass for it. It is a vicious circle!!!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #15

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
I consider cost per round anytime I'm shopping for ammo. I also base powder choice on charge weight for a desired load. If two powders have a 20% difference in charge weight for a given velocity, I use the one requiring the smaller charge weight, presuming similar cost per pound of powder. That equates to a free powder charge on every 5th round loaded.

Yes, I am that effen cheap....

I shop for retail prices around $.30 for .223 practice ammo in a brass case.
I am reloading .45 acp for about $.25, last I checked.
You are not even close to being as cheap as the guy I was referring to. He was complaining that a load someone recommended to him would cost $.11 per round, and that was just too much.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
You are not even close to being as cheap as the guy I was referring to. He was complaining that a load someone recommended to him would cost $.11 per round, and that was just too much.
Then he is out of touch with the costs of raw materials. My numbers don't even include brass because I reuse it indefinitely.

$.11 won't even buy the bullet I put in one round.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I only reload .308Win and the reason I got into reloading was saving money on ammo, because quality .308 ammo is darn expensive around here. So, yes, I consider the cost per round but my goal is to get the most accurate ammo for the least amount of money.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
Then he is out of touch with the costs of raw materials. My numbers don't even include brass because I reuse it indefinitely.

$.11 won't even buy the bullet I put in one round.
Yep, you got it. I also think this guy is obsessed with the cost-per-round factor to the point where he is out of touch with the cost of materials. Maybe he is not counting the brass, but there are other materials involved.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #19

According to the numbers on my reloading scale there are 437.5 grains per ounce which translates to 7000 grains per pound. I can buy one pound of many popular powders here for about 21.00 This guy and I were talking about our .45acp loads He used Bullseye and I use Unique. He uses about 1 grain of powder less for his loads than I use for mine. I am not going to bore you with all of my calculations, but I determined the most he could save per box of 50 is approximately $.15, yes, fifteen cents. So, he can save by using a faster powder but it is not much. He would save $1.50 on powder if he loads 10 boxes. Primers here are about $3.99 right now for a box of 100 and I haven't seen cheaper primers anywhere, including online where shipping and Hazmat charges will be added. I am of the opinion that if less than one dollar makes or breaks someone they cannot afford to shoot. I guess someone could save a lot on bullets if they made their own with tire weights or something like that. I just don't care to do this. I don't mind paying for the jacketed bullets. Each to their own I guess.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
I only reload .308Win and the reason I got into reloading was saving money on ammo, because quality .308 ammo is darn expensive around here. So, yes, I consider the cost per round but my goal is to get the most accurate ammo for the least amount of money.
Same here. I reload for .308 and probably have more of them than all of the other cartridges I shoot. I see you are in Finland. How expensive is Lapua brass there? It is very good brass and very expensive here. Since it is made in Finland I was just curious if it is sold cheaper there.