Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Do you consider cost per round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Do you consider cost per round?

I have been reloading for about 30 years now. I load four handgun cartridges and four rifle cartridges. Over the years I have been able to develop some ammunition that works very well in my firearms. I have been able to save money also, but that is not my primary concern.

I share my reloading information with friends and many times we have been able to help each other in finding our pet loads. I know one guy who gets on my nerves sometimes because he always asks, "What is the cost per round"? He is a penny pincher extreme and is driven by "doing it cheaper". His quest to do it cheaper affects the way he loads ammunition. He uses the fastest-burning powder he can get away with so he can use less of it. He uses the cheapest bullets and other components he can find. He places a lot of emphasis on the "cost per round". I am not talking about someone who goes through a lot of ammunition. He doesn't shoot very often so I can't see how he can possibly be saving more than pennies every time he shoots.

What about the rest of you? Do you load your own ammo to save money or to develop ammo that will work great in your guns, or both? Do you place much emphasis on "cost per round"?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #2

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Wow! I though my buddy was bad... He just shoots lead with reduced loads, and is always makin' fun of me cause I want to reproduce the military loads using jacketed bullets..

I guess I got into it to save money (..sort of) Mainly it was just so I can keep my old war horses fed... Making 7.7 Jap or .30 US is alot cheaper and easier than buying it... And now that heavy ball 7.62x54 is hard to get, Im gonna have to start working up a load for my Mosin PU "sniper"

Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2593 Times on 1298 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
What about the rest of you? Do you load your own ammo to save money or to develop ammo that will work great in your guns, or both? Do you place much emphasis on "cost per round"?
Both I guess.

Reloading, in & of itself will save on the cost per round unless you get carried away with some special purpose application.
I enjoy the economy of the process, but I'm simply not willing to jump through hoops to squeeze out that last half cent worth of savings.
I shoot mostly cast so I'm at the point where if I want significant savings from this point, I will need to start casting my own bullets and saving up to order in bulk quantities. The point of diminishing returns is different for for different people.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Trez, I can see where you would make some big savings by loading your own 7.7 Japanese ammo. That stuff is expensive, and you can make ammo that is better than factory loads.

The guy I am talking about is just plain cheap. He gets real petty with his reloading savings methods, and everything else for that matter. He drinks Keystone Light. Did you ever know of anyone who drank Keystone Light for its taste?

Seriously though, when I get together with my reloading buddies and we share information about our loads, he always starts off by saying something like, "But, what is the cost per round?"

Last edited by BlueTurf; 03-06-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree, I don't reload solely because it's cheaper. It is a bonus! But to me it's like someone tying their own flies because it's cheaper. (it's not , it's a money pit !)
I reload because I can't buy the rounds I want, and I want to tweak them to my rifles/handguns

Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5324 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

i started loading because my second centerfire rifle was a 458winmag. even in the 80's that thing wasnt cheap to shoot. now its close to 80$ for 20 rounds if you buy off the shelf.

nowadays i just enjoy reloading. i dont save anything really, it just lets me shoot more rounds that are higher quality tuned to the rifle than i would have bought off the shelf.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I don't reload yet. I'm in the process of saving my .45ACP brass. When I do take the plunge into reloading it will be to save money. Don't know that I will try to get it done as cheap as possible but I will need to be saving money to justify reloading.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #8

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Do you load your own ammo to save money or to develop ammo that will work great in your guns, or both?
Yes to both.
I shoot every day, and what I like to do is hit my target every day. Before I started hand-loading, I used to keep taking shots until I hit the target. Now that I have ammo that is accurate, if I'm good enough, I can hit my target in one shot... which "save[s] money."

Quote:
Do you place much emphasis on "cost per round"?
Yes I do... but I still need them to hit the target, so I use the slower more stable powders and save money with the bullet choice. Hornady 150gr FMJ bullets work well in all my rifles, so I like to shoot them since they are $18 per 100.

Last edited by The_Kid; 03-07-2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: messed-up the code

Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I guess I started reloading to save some money. I can never go to the range without either my SO or one of my daughters coming with me. I am glad they want to but it gets expensive. I reload now to build up some stock of ammo in case anything goes down. I even cast my own lead. So once I get the primers and powder, I am pretty much off the grid as far as how much ammo I have.

Tim

The Second Amendment makes all the others possible.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

I just got into reloading for all the normal reasons:

1. More choices in bullets
2. Better ammo
3. To save money

The money aspect was a huge influence. I don't mind paying upfront for something but I hate things that keep costing money (like payments). That's the core part of my personal financial philosophy. Reloading fits perfectly with that. There is the up front cost and continuing cost but reloading greatly reduces the continued cost of shooting in general.